+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to clean epoxy from blank?

Default how to clean epoxy from blank?

hi
    Somehow (don't ask )I managed to get some epoxy and some nice fingerprints on my blank. is there any way to clean it? it's already hardened....

------------------
    God Grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
    I most humbly pray, When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,That in His mercy I be judged, As big enough to keep.

Is this blank Bamboo/Cane, or other?

it is graphite, G Loomis IMX (Slate)

muscarul;
    Hoo Boy!! I'd buy another blank!
    Scolding time! Had you read the instructions and heeded advice given here you would have known that vinagar will clean wet epoxy! I get epoxy on my fingers and on the blanks often but know how to clean it up!
    Scolding is over! Lets see if we can get you out of the problem.
    Steam from a tea kettle may soften it enough to clean it off with your fingernail.
    Acetone may clean it but may also damage the finish! A hair drier will also work to soften the epoxy. Probably the best attack.
    I just replaced a guide and used the steam because I can't find the hair dryer!!
    Good luck and be sure to holler if you need more help.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

If the epoxy is fairly new you can soften it with heat. It takes days for most epoxy to reach it's final cure strength. I use a variable temp heat gun, but a hair dryer should work. Too much heat can mess up the rod blank finish, so go easy until you get a feel for it. Vinegar will still work on the heated epoxy if it's just a few days old.

If the epoxy has cured a week or more it might be there for good...

For me a popsicle stick makes a better scraper than my finger nails, just as long as it is softer than the rod finish.

If all else fails you can try polishing out the prints using auto body buffing compounds on a soft cloth. They come in a range of grits, producing anything from a matte finish to a mirror. I have had good results using 'Meguir's Mirror Glaze' fine cut cleaner #2. It produces a slightly matte finish that I prefer. You might need several grades to match a mirror finish.

Most auto parts/auto paint stores will carry
    buffing compounds, used to remove defect in paint finishes.

Maybe you could cover it up with a decoritive wrap?

On your next rod, keep a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol around. When you finish working on it, put some alcohol on a rag or paper towel and wipe down the blank. This will remove all traces of epoxy, provided that you do it before it has a chance to set up.

A well thought out decorative wrap will hide a multitude of sins.......PROVIDED THEY DON'T STICK OUT TOO FAR!!!!!!!!

ddonaldson

+ Reply to Thread