+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long of a tippet do you use?

Depends upon how hot and heavy the catching becomes. I start out with about 18" at the most. Definitely shortens as the day proceeds.

I use a furled leader with anywhere between 4' to 6' of 4 lb. tippet. I like using longer lengths of tippet because it seems to give the fly a freer drift in the current and it seems to help it get to the bottom a little better.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Boy, it's hard for me to imagine using 6X at all when swinging soft hackles, regardless of the length..
    That's pretty much what I use all the time to my point fly (5x to the top dropper). Of course, I'm usually trying for a dead drift, even when fishing down. I can't remember ever breaking off a fish on the take.

I'd rather have finer tippet to the point so that if I hang that fly up on something, I only lose one fly instead of two.
    Bob

In general I'd say I start off with about 30 to 36 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    That's pretty much what I use all the time to my point fly (5x to the top dropper). Of course, I'm usually trying for a dead drift, even when fishing down. I can't remember ever breaking off a fish on the take.

I'd rather have finer tippet to the point so that if I hang that fly up on something, I only lose one fly instead of two.
    I basically do that same thing when I dead drift a multi-nymph rig, for the same reason. Definitely something to be said for only breaking off the point fly if there's a snag. I don't dead drift soft hackles very often, though I probably should do so more often. I'm used to swinging them, which elicits some vicious strikes and has always prompted me to be a little more conservative on tippet strength.

+ Reply to Thread