+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish'n shades, whats your thoughts.

Default Fish'n shades, whats your thoughts.

I'm think'n about buy'n a good pair of sunglasses, for fish'n & everyday wear, the only polarized glasses I've tried were the cheapo wally world shades for a few bucks & I guess they were as good as one could expect, or not so good depending, they seemed to distort things a bit & gave me a head ache after a while, so now I'm curious about a better quality pair.

Ok gents, school me, quality VS bang for the buck & what youve learned.

Thanks in advance.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Well now, I don't know about the rest, but the cheapo's that have distortion also give me a headache. In fact, any eye protection that has the least amount of distortion would give me a headache after about 20 minutes. Before I wore glasses I would spend days looking for a pair of SG that did not have distortion.

Now that I wear glasses full time, bi-focals so I can see to read , I went to the wear overs. Have 2 pair, one for fishing and semi-bright in brown and the other for full sun in black. Pick them up in Walgreen's for about $25 and can wear them all day fishing, playing golf, driving, whatever.

If you wear glasses, check out the wear overs.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Since I also wear glasses, I use fit overs for fishing, but I have polarized trifocals for driving or walking around outside on sunny days. For fishing I have amber lenses as they seem to work better in a wider variety of lighting/conditions. Smith Optics seems to have a pretty good reputation and you can find some pretty good deals at SierraTradingPost.com

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~p...es/?perPage=96

Jim Smith

I wear prescription sunglasses. My vision ins. makes me pay $25 for the tinting. I make sure that I buy frames with polarized lenses (bolle, etc) and ask to keep the lenses. that way, when I have to buy new frames I have the polarized lenses put into the old frames, and then I have a new pair of Polarized every two years when I get new frames.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

After using a number of high end glasses, including Smith Action Optics and Oakley, my current favorite glasses and very good bang for buck are Habervision glasses. I prefer the "Nice" frame style and their copper rose photochromatic adjusting lenses are the best all around sunglasses I have used. Habervision does direct sales through their website and you can often get even a better deal with an affinity code that can be found on other websites that Habervision sponsors through advertising. Their various models range from about $80-$120 and they sometimes have specials that you learn about if you subscribe to their email list.

At a lower price (about $50-$80) point I like Guideline glasses for value and at even lower prices ($15-$35) Guideline's Fisherman's Eyewear brand.

I have got some smoking deals for Smith Action Optics glasses on Sierra Tradingpost before too.

I currently have about 15 pairs of sunglasses including glasses from the above noted brands along with some others, including 3 pairs of Action Optics and two pairs of HAbervision. The Habervision with copper/rose lenses are on my head 90% of the time. My second favorite are the Action Optics with photochromatic copper lenses. The others are backups or glasses that are used in certain lighting conditions. I keep a backup in each of my vehicles and in each of my tackle bags. The backups have often been loaned out to a fishing partner who has forgot, lost, or broken their glasses.

I use two pair of polarized sunglasses for fishing.

One pair is for bright conditions and the other is for low light conditions.
    I fish 99% of the time over rocky stream beds. Copper or amber colored sunglasses seem best for this.
    When the light is low, copper or amber may be a little dark, so I use a yellow colored lens.

I wear Costas. Both are Zane frames...I have a big noggin. One has the green mirror (copper/amber colored) 580G lenses and the other pair has the Sunrise (yellow) 580P lenses.

I guess I've just been lucky in that the cheap sunglasses from Wally World fit me fine and have never had a headache problem with "better of the cheaper" if that makes sense. I will check the Habervision tailingloop and give them consideration. I have held off on buying anything of cost because losing them is something I used to do a lot of. Now that I've had the same couple of dark and amber glasses for several years maybe I chance a better quality lense. I do know that the way I flycast I make darn sure I always have glasses on for safety. Being a member of the "Wise Owl Club" (legitimate and have a plaque) who saved an eye with a shattered but intact safety glasses, I take it serious.

BR-549 I've been thinking of the exact same thing. Welcome to the board by the way.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Thanks for the input & the welcome also, really like'n this place, Jack "wild man" Hise turned me onto it a while back, lots of good stuff on FAOL.

The local fish'n/hunt'n store carries teh Coats line, but I dont think I could drop that kind of cash for a pair, if they actualy worked that much better than a cheaper pair it might make the price doable, I dont have a problem spending money on quality but do have a problem spending hard earned cash for anything that dont perform as it should.

Maybe I'll make a pest of myself at the local trout waters & harrass fisherman untill they let me try out their galsses, at least I'll have an idea of what works & what dont, Jack may have to come & post my bail tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BR-549 View Post
    if they actualy worked that much better than a cheaper pair it might make the price doable, I dont have a problem spending money on quality but do have a problem spending hard earned cash for anything that dont perform as it should.
    That's my thoughts exactly!

I made my first fly fishing trip with Jack a few years ago on the Duck. That's a heckuva tale, and I think I can still go to the exact spot where I caught my first bow on a fly. I have often thought about that trip, I caught that rainbow for a few minutes, and it caught me for life. Jack was standing on the bank watching, with a little smile on his face. I'm not sure which one of us was enjoying ourselves the most.

Come to think of it, that rainbow has cost me a small fortune! lol

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread