+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strippers

Default Strippers

Stripper question got a look at least. I'm building an 8 wt., what are the recommended sizes for the two stripping guides? I have an #8 and a #10 i was going to use on another rod but wondered if you experts think they are big enough for an 8 wt. Thanks RC
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

#10 and #12 at the least
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I would use a 20 and a 16 on an 8wt. Jack
    P.S. I use Fuji NSG

[This message has been edited by Jack S (edited 11 February 2006).]

Ok, thanks for the answers. Anyone care to elaborate on the "why" of the bigger stripping guides? Aesthetics only or is there something i'm not grasping as to the function?
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Stripping guides, and in particular the first or butt guide, act like a funnel. When shooting line, a small guide will restrict distance.
    A large guide will allow the line outside of the tip top to pull the line through the guides more efficently.
    Jack is right about using the larger guides although they may look out of place.
    You may want to try something inbetween.

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Ok, thanks for the replies folks.

Guides should be larger enough to pass the line and knots, but not much larger than that.

Duddley,
    That's the wrong way of looking at it. Larger guides leave the line untamed is it's passing through, allowing the line to slap against the blank-- which is a huge killer of efficiency. The increase in friction by using a smaller guide is miniscule compared to line-slap. It's much better to get the line under control and shooting straight.

Taoski
    You are correct about the rest of the guides. Small is good once you get past the first stripping (butt) guide.
    A large butt guide is need to funnel the line into the smaller snake (or single foot} guides.
    That's what the question and JackS and my answers were about.

(I would still put "big game" guides and tiptop on an 8wt though)

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 15 February 2006).]
    --- Horace Kephart

I agree with dudley about the funnel efect of the butt guide. I had a 14 and 10 fuji nsg on a 8wt that I built back in 1989 and occasionaly I would have a problem with the butt gude. In my experience with this size guide any twist or loop in your flyline gets compressed too fast and tightens as it passes through a 14 butt guide limiting your cast. Again, in my experience with a larger butt guide the line flows better but I also only fish the salt with stiff bonefish tapers so your mileage may vary.
    I know 20 size guide sounds big but that is the outside diameter the actual inside is 14 and a 14 has a inside dia. of 8.
    Hope this helps, best of luck with your rod, Jack

+ Reply to Thread