+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line weight rant

Default Line weight rant

I guess the AFTMA line weight standards are just so 20th Century. Don't need 'em anymore, apparently. Rio and Cabela's, among others, have some lines that are listed as being one line weight heavier to perform better with today's faster rods. And S.A. has some that are a half-weight heavier- for the same reason. Really? First, we've known for some time that many rod makers mislabel their rods re.: line weight. Have done that for decades now. They deserve criticism for that, but we've become used to it, right? But a line that's one size heavier is just plain wrong. Say a 5-weight floating line, for example. There is a specific weight range that was established decades ago for this: 134-146 grains. One size heavier? That makes it a 6-weight, NOT a 5-weight. Yet a fly fisher who just walks into a shop, or orders a line on the net, may be getting the wrong line(s) for his rod(s). Remember now- not everyone can go to a nearby fly shop to try out different lines on rods. My point (finally): why can't the rod and line makers give us reasonably accurate labels? Yes, I know that different casters may need different lines on the same rod. But it seems that it has now become a rat's nest of confusion. There. I told you upfront it would be a rant! But I do feel a little better. Chuck

Yep, your anger is well placed there. And to top it off there are lines being made for every fish that swims in fresh or saltwater today. I knew we were approaching the end of time when they came out with a carp taper. You not only have to deal with differing line weights that don't fall into the old guidelines but now every taper is bulked up or thinned down in different areas depending on what you're fishing for. Then you have bring into consideration the distance you plan to cast on a regular basis, and I have lines now that are "easy mend" and "ultra thin" and perfect for streamers. Seems like lines that were true to the old double taper are a lot easier to find. The Weight Forward lines have gotten completely out of hand with the variations available. If it wasn't too much trouble for a lazy guy like me I think I'd go with silk DT and just weigh them myself.

Blog Entries

I have two ways around this 'problem' that I use. First, I can email the fly rod manufacturer and ask them what would be the best line for 'X' style of fishing with a certain fly rod and they are very will get right back to me with a suggestion. The second method is to talk to my local fly shop and ask them, they are also very knowledgeable. Just a thought.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Here's what I do.

Put the line on the rod.

Don't worry if it's a size heavier, lighter, odd tapered, or whatever.

Fish with it.

If I don't like it, take it back.

I've found that I can 'figure out' how to cast any rod with any line rated between two sizes smaller and four sizes heavier than the 'rod rating' pretty easily.

I'm not a great caster. So as long as the line will take my fly to the fish, I don't sweat 'optimum' too much. For those fishermen that are really good casters, I'd think they would know exactly what they were doing and could figure it out pretty quickly. For those who are beginners, close is just fine and they'll learn with whatever line they have.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Sorry, Buddy. I have to disagree with you. A tyro needs to have a line that is correct for that rod- or maybe a bit heavier, for starters. Then he/she can feel the cast so much better. I'm a pretty good, experienced caster, but certainly not an expert. I, too, can cast lines that are noticeably lighter and heavier for a given rod- but that doesn't mean I like it. When there's a match for the rod and line combo in my own hands, it just makes fishing so much more enjoyable. Chuck

Just another reason why I like fishing with fiberglass. They seem to be able to handle a wider range of line weights. I know it isn't right for all applications, but it works for my limited style. My 2 cents. Well, maybe just a penney.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech, I think you are right about that. I think of there being 3 primary rod material types without getting into exotics and mixes. Graphite, fiberglass and bamboo. Of those the graphite can best handle heavier weight lines rather than lighter. I also think fiberglass is the most forgiving in either direction. Bamboo, which is basically all I use right now, can be the most critical of all to line right. Sure, up or down a line weight it will still function but if you want to have the sweet feel of the classic grass getting the right taper and weight can make a so-so rod just sing to you. 'Course it always tries to sing in soprano and goes off key quite often in my hands but you get the picture.

I agree. If a 5wt rod works better with a 6wt line, it's a 6wt and should be labeled as such. If a 5wt line weighs as much as a 6wt, then call it a six weight! I guess it's the same reason a 2x4 is really 1-3/4 x 3-3/4, and a 9x12 rug is 8'6" by 11'6" !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    I agree. If a 5wt rod works better with a 6wt line, it's a 6wt and should be labeled as such. If a 5wt line weighs as much as a 6wt, then call it a six weight! I guess it's the same reason a 2x4 is really 1-3/4 x 3-3/4, and a 9x12 rug is 8'6" by 11'6" !
    I agree with everything you said, except for one thing...

A 2x4 is 1-1/2 x 3-1/2

Sorry. Couldn't resist the temptation to be a smart a**.

Chuck, you have hit one of my hot buttons. At least there is an AFTM so called standard for fly line weight. However there is no standard for rods We'll probably start seeing 5.5 weight rods to susposedly match 5.5 wt lines. My solution is: please tell me how much the line weighs. I'll then select a line weight that I've used To fit the rod I'm fishing with. There is a lot of unneeded hype out there. Lighter, faster etc. They never say lighter than what.

+ Reply to Thread