Chuck,

Understand why you'd disagree. Some folks think that what is written on rod is correct, or what is written on the line box is 'correct'. Some don't, and would wish that it was so.

As you've noted, some, if not many, rod or line makers finagle, fudge, or play with the line weight rating for many reasons. I don't think these are nefarious or intended to mislead, it's just the way the fly rod and line world works.

Also, some believe that there is one 'perfect' line for any rod. I do not believe this at all.

If any new caster buys a fly rod and a line that 'matches' it based on the rating on the rod and the line box, that caster will be able to learn to cast well enough to catch fish with that set up. It may not be a dead on accurate match because of the practices of the rod maker or line manufacturer, but it will be close enough for a beginner. A beginner doesn't need a 'perfect match' to learn to cast. Close is okay, as the act of learning to cast the rod and line will cause that person to adapt to the equipment they have.

It's only the journeymen and experts that seem to bemoan the lack of standardization. I find this odd, as these folks should be past relying on the labels on rods or boxes.

In any event, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm happy that a person can walk into WalMart, buy a decent fly rod/reel/line combo for between $50 and $100, and get out and learn to fly fish. If the rod isn't the 'best' or line doesn't 'match' perfectly, they won't know or really care as long as they can catch a fish or two and hopefully get hooked on the sport.

Buddy