+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guarantee??

Default Guarantee??

Received a new 3wt classic trout rod made by Redington as a Christmas gift from my wife. Broke the tip off on the second trip with it in January. No big deal I say, it's guaranteed. Waited till I got back home to get the paperwork straightened out on it. Wait a minute, it says I have to ship all the parts back (tip was lost in tall grass), I have to pay for shipping back and send them $30 for processing and return shipping. Then there is no guarantee on color matching between the repaired piece and existing rod. For crying out loud, I only paid half price for the rod, on sale for $75. Think I'll glue a new tip eyelet on it and accept that it's about 4" shorter.

*grabs a bowl of popcorn*

Here we go....
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

They need the rod to match the segments; there will be slight variations from rod to rod and they want to get it as close as possible to the original. That's why they want you to ship the whole thing back. Whether it's worth the $ for the repair is up to you. The Sage RPL 906 I bought back in the late 80's has been back to the shop 4 times for busted tips (every one my fault), the last time 2 years ago, 25 years after purchase. I was sure they'd tell me they didn't have any more tips but the guy I talked to on the phone said they keep a pretty decent inventory, even for the older stuff. Couldn't imagine fishing without that rod.

Regards,
    Scott

btw, welcome to the forum
    Last edited by ScottP; 05-06-2014 at 05:51 PM.

$30 for a new tip section, to replace the one you broke, seems like a heck of a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    *grabs a bowl of popcorn*

Here we go....
    Will you share your popcorn? I love watching these threads about guarantees play out.

I don't know how it works in the States, but down here for Sage or Reddington repair I take my gear to the local retailer, pay a NZ$50 handling fee and they sort it out from there, usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks and is worth every cent of that handling fee. I even had a RPL that was so old it had no serial number and I broke the tip section, it came back with a tip a slightly different colour brown, but it fits perfectly and the rod is good as new!
    I used to buy NZ made rods, but having had nothing but trouble with one of the well known local brands I now stick to Sage.
    All the best.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Possumpoint View Post
    Received a new 3wt classic trout rod made by Redington as a Christmas gift from my wife. Broke the tip off on the second trip with it in January. No big deal I say, it's guaranteed. Waited till I got back home to get the paperwork straightened out on it. Wait a minute, it says I have to ship all the parts back (tip was lost in tall grass), I have to pay for shipping back and send them $30 for processing and return shipping. Then there is no guarantee on color matching between the repaired piece and existing rod. For crying out loud, I only paid half price for the rod, on sale for $75. Think I'll glue a new tip eyelet on it and accept that it's about 4" shorter.
    Quick way to make the #3 weight a #5 or #6 weight fly rod.

I paid over a hundred to replace a lost Z-Axis tip section. A BLANK tip section.

(Update: found lost section on the trail two weeks after finishing new piece.)

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Will you share your popcorn? I love watching these threads about guarantees play out.
    *Passes the Bowl*
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Sounds like I stepped into it when I posted this thread. Sorry about that, had no idea it was a controversial subject.

+ Reply to Thread