Nice rod you got there. I've just begun building my own rods as well, but I've started off with bamboo because A) I've wanted a 'boo rod for a while, and the cost of the new ones seemed prohibitively expensive and B)I like the idea of being able to make any length/weight/action rod that I can think of, and being able to repair any of my rods when they break (which can't really be said for graphite). I was able to get my set of planing forms made at a local machine shop for about $400, I've made a heat treating oven for about $20 using some cast iron pipes, and I've just recently made a rod wrapping device using a couple mouse traps for the thread tensioners. Altogether, my first rod is going to run me about $700-800 including all the supplies and tools, and my next one will only be about $250 for just the supplies. Not too bad considering even the new low end models run around $600-700. Starting out just by refinishing an old South Bend, or Granger would probably be a good way to go as well (actually, there's someone selling a Granger Special here for about $165 I believe, might want to take a look on the "For Sale" board). The best advice I could give would be to keep asking as many questions as you possibly can, and keep posting here on FAOL. Oh, and if you do get into the 'boo thing, find a local rodmaker (check on the ABRA website- goabra.com)- I've yet to find a rodmaker who wasn't happy to take the time to help a new rodmaker learn the craft. Best of luck.

Joe Martin
Salem, OR