+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about veevus thread

Default Question about veevus thread

I have never tried the new Veevus threads. I have always used the Uni-threads in 6/0 and 8/0 and along with the Flymaster line of thread and I have been quite satisfied with them all. I do have a large selection of the U-70 threads but I find myself going back to the Uni-Threads. What are the opinion's of FAOL's members about the Veevus thread. Thank you. Gordon

Blog Entries

I like them.
    Currently using 16/0 and haven't broken a thread yet.
    Nice stuff!

AlanB Guest

Used a cople of spools. The one I have currently feels quite rough. For me the jury is out. I haven't used all of the range, there may be something I'll use lurking in there.

One thing I have noticed is that it is expensive. This far I have not noticed anything about this thread that would outweigh the extra cost.

Cheers,
    A.

I tied some elk hair in with the 8/0 yesterday - very impressed. Lots of colors.

I've almost totally stopped using Uni 8/0 except to finish up my existing stock. I have found MFC 8/0 a thread I'm most comfortable with for all around tying. If I need something finer I agree with Byron Veevus 16/0 is very good. I like a thread that lays flat without having to untwist probably the reason I will not switch to a heavier Veevus. All this is probably because I tied for years with Danville 6/0, and still do for many patterns.
    Gene

Love the stuff!! Very strong unless ... you happen to hit the point of the hook when you wrap. Good, clean, smooth heads on flies, in limited space, if you happen to crowd the eye.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have been using Veevus since it first appeared on the U.S. scene...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...=Veevus+thread

It is one of the strongest threads I have found and comes in a wide range of sizes and colors...who else makes 16/0 thread in this wide range of colors?

http://veevus.com/thread/8-160-12-di...available.html

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I have been using the Veevus 14/0 for about a year. Quality stuff. I would rank it with Benecchi. Strong, yet easy to split (unlike Uni). I wont throw away my Uni thread, but rarely use it now. I like UTC, but have serious problems being able to use an entire bobbin. I have issues with it being wound over its self on the spool. I keep hearing the problems have been resolved, but still I have problems with it.

AlanB Guest

The UTC problem was because the spool was made in two parts. The thread tended to pull into the joint and jam. Since they went onto single piece spools I haven't had the problem. Be careful that you are not buying old stock though.
    Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The UTC problem was because the spool was made in two parts. The thread tended to pull into the joint and jam. Since they went onto single piece spools I haven't had the problem. Be careful that you are not buying old stock though.
    Cheers,
    A.
    Yep, that is what I was told. I threw 6 spools away that I bought a few weeks ago. I wont be frequenting the local fly shop anymore.

+ Reply to Thread