+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on a 'rare' rod?

Default Help on a 'rare' rod?

In by email:

Hello, My name is Benjamin Arnold, and I have a question in regards to a Bamboo fly rod that I am beginning a restoration project on. To begin with, let me first say, this is by far, above and beyond the oddest bamboo fly rod I have ever seen, and or worked on. What I am trying to find out now, is if I can get help from you as to the manufacturer and any possible value from what I can describe below. I can tell just from the condition that this rod is currently in a few things. First, a half hearted attempt has been previously made to restore this rod, as on one section it can plainly be seen that some wraps were not rewrapped, and it is obvious by fade in the bamboo and varnish that at one time, a manufacturer's sticker used to be present, but is/are no longer present.
    Let me describe this rod to the best of my ability, hopefully you can provide me with some answers. First I will describe the bamboo, and right off the bat, you will see that something is bizaar. There are 5 different Bamboo pieces. I am certain that all 5 pieces go together just from the make and design of the ferrules. Of the 5 pieces, three are Tips, and two are mid-sections. Try and follow me here, as this part can be a bit difficult to explain. Two of the tips, one short, and one long, only attach to one of the mid-sections, the one that I call "long-mid". The remaining tip section, which is rather long, about 30" or so, only connects to the remaining mid-section (a two piece rod), which I call "short-fat" because it is only 22" long, and is rather fat. Here is the funny part, the "long-mid" section can if I so desire connect to the "short-fat" mid section and create a three piece rod, with two tips.
    Before I describe anymore now, I must next explain the cork hanlde, which is unlike anything I have ever seen. The cork handle is just that, a cork handle, there is no bamboo sections directly attached to it, is just a cork handle, but built into the handle are two female ferrules on either end, and a hook keeper to go with each. Each Female ferrule is of a different size. On the cork handle are two sliding mechanism's, which I presume are for the reel, though their is no traditional reel seat. Both sliding mechanism's are free to move from one end of the cork to the other.
    Now, getting back to the bamboo, and combining in the cork, things again get very strange. The two piece rod I described above, with the "short-fat" mid section only connects into the larger of the two female ferrules of the cork handle. With this in mind, you can see that this rod has here, using the larger female ferrule to be three different rods.

1. cork - "short-fat" mid section - long tip 30"
    2. cork - "short-fat" mid section - "long-mid" mid section - short tip
    3. cork - "short-fat" mid section - "long-mid" mid section - Long tip

Now, again getting back to the bamboo and the cork, using the narrow female ferrule, I can also make 2 different rods.

1. cork - "long-mid" mid section - Short tip
    2. cork - "long-mid" mid section - long tip

So, as you can see, I have the ability with these 6 pieces, the five bamboo, and the cork section, to make five different rods. I hope that what I have been able to describe can give you enough information to identify this rod, and provide me with some insight as to the age, manufactuer, and maybe even value, if it were mint. Again, this is the oddest rod I have ever seen.

Thank you for your time, and any information you can provide me would be a great help.

Sincerely,
    Benjamin N. Arnold

Years ago I had a rod that my Dad brought back from Japan. It came in a wooden case and could be assembled as a fly rod (inserting the cane into one end of the handle) or as a spinning rod (inserting the appropriate peice into the other end). It also had multiple sections to facilitate the two different configurations. Could this be what he has?

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Clint I believe you are right. Post WWII Japan blossomed with the production of bamboo rods that fit the description above. Sakura was the most prominent and they made thousands of those rods. There were several manufacturers and most used the same design. The Handle was either a fly or spinning/casting handle (depending on how you set the rod up) and usually had a blue rubber plug that fit into the end that was not in use. The two mids were designed so that if one was used with the tip section with the casting rod guides on it made about a 5 foot casting or spinning rod. If the other mid was used with one of the other two tips, it made a fly rod. and you are correct that most of them came in a wooden box with sectioned compartments in the top to hold hooks, flys, etc.

There are some people that collect these old Japanese rods but for the most part, they are not desirable by collectors of bamboo fly rods. You can find them on E-Bay for anywhere form $40 up to $100, depending on the condition of them, and the time of the year.

I bought 3 of them a few years ago and restored them for my grandsons, and they thought that these old rods were pretty slick. As they learned how to cast a fly rod, the old Japanese rods were put away in the corner, and hopefully someday, their sons will get to use them.

As far as real value, I guess that is in the eyes of the owner and what the rod means to them.

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 12 February 2006).]

You might try this site
    [url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum:ffb76]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum[/url:ffb76]

I too have an identical set up like that. Mine is definitely Japanese with proper labels. From what I've read, most of these came back with the troops post WWII. Not much in value but mine caught fish when I used it. So it is definitely a fishing rod . The ferrules on mine was of poor metal and cracked yet still shines like brand new. Becareful to check when refinishing or prior to fishing so that you don't damage the bamboo.
    Mine is on my shelf in the office as a decoration now (looks good with the box).

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 13 February 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I have three..and yeah I'd say this is what you have...Can be picked up on ebay pretty cheaply...They do make good brush beaters..as well as small to mid size stream rods...But who knows someday they may become quite hard to come by....
    Some are spin/fly and others are fly/Bait cast...Yours sounds like a Spin/Fly setup to me...Hope you restore it and take it fishing!

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 13 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread