+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member looking for wetflies

Gordon,

One wet fly pattern not listed in the previous posts is a fly created by none other then Theodore Gordon. It is documented that he used it as early as 1901. No, I'm not talking about the Quill Gordon. I'm talking about the 'Gordon'.
    You can find information about T. Gordon in an article that appeared in a 1950s magazine article. I placed the link below. Scan down and click 'Show thumbnails'. Then scan right until photo page of Gordon and click on that as well as the photo of his flybox. Can't find the recipe for the 'Gordon' just right now but maybe someone else can post it.
    Welcome to the site.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...e=reader_vault

Allan

Hi Gordon, my favorite wet fly is the Dark Cahill . The body is muskrat, the wing and tail are lemon wooduck and the hackle is brown. The Light Cahill is great too, same as the Dark Cahill but the body is any cream dubbing ..

Allan, Thanks for the information. I have heard of the Gordon but I've never tied it...yet. I actually have a list going on and I'm putting down all the patterns that I'm receiving from all members from FAOL.

Good evening Oldster. The Dark Cahill is one that I have used over the years with great success and it's one of my favorites also. I have received a lot of interesting suggestions from everyone and I will be tying them up. Gordon

Gordon, Hans Weilenmann posts on FAOL from time to time. He has one of the best YouTube channels for fly tying. There are many flies which you might find interesting. You can probably spend a week doing nothing but looking at his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann/videos

Regards,
    Ed

Hi and welcome to the board.

Hmm, in no particular order, wet flies that I like include:
    1) parmachene belle
    2) royal coachman / coachman / leadwing coachman
    3) invicta
    4) bloody butcher
    5) micky finn (streamer)
    6) greenwell's glory
    7) Pritt's Water Cricket (a softhackle, yellow floss body, black thread rib, starling hackle; size 14 seems to work best for me)
    Baillie's Black Spider / Stewart's Black spider (another soft hackle, brown body waxed to black, starling hackle wound 1/2 way down the body).
    9) white invicta (tie an invicta, but use white tail, grizzle hackle, white wool body, white quill wing, black fibres for the throat, sliver rib)
    10) doc spratley (size 12)
    11) waterhen bloa
    12) bibio

I'll stop there. Dressings can be found online for all of those except the white invicta, as that's my own pattern, but basically just tie an invicta but use white material everywhere (grizzle for the hackle to give a bit of contrast, likewise the black throat).

I've also done well with squirrel tail winged streamers along with a number of bucktails.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I'm looking forward to meeting more of the members as time goes on. I have received many warm greetings from everyone and look forward to posting as time goes on.Gordon

Hello Jeff, Glad to meet you. Thank you very much for the patterns. I have received many good suggestions and It's my intention to tie up and try as many as I can.Gordon

+ Reply to Thread