+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for wetflies

Hybrid View

Smile New member looking for wetflies

With encouragement from Warren P., I decided to join FAOL. My name is Gordon and I'm from Colorado and I've been active in fly fishing and tying for over 43 years. I have done some semi-commercial tying over the years and now that I'm retired I'm tying for my Wife and I. I like to fish using wet flies since I can't cast a fly rod much like I used to. I'm looking for some wet fly patterns to try on the trout around here and if anyone would be willing to share some of their favorite patterns with me I'd like to tie them and try them out. I already received my first two from Warren P and can't wait to hit the water with them. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by Gordon; 05-03-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Hello Gordon and welcome to FAOL. The new guys chop wood and bring donuts. Check out the FOTW (Fly Of The Week) archives and Fly Tying section on the Home page for patterns and how to tying step by step. Also the fly tying section in the FAOL BB has a lot of patterns. If you hear of a pattern you'd like to try you can type in the name in the Search box on the Home page. It's a fun site and a wonderful learning tool. You can just ask for a pattern and half a dozen or more gals and guys will show you their version with a material list and step by step. Enjoy. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I've had consistent "luck" over the years fishing wets, more so then with drys. One of the most productive ones for me has been the Parmachene Belle, and as I understand a very old pattern. Here's a list of some wets with pics; scroll down and the P.B. should be about #14 ~

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

Gordon,

Welcome to the forum; think you'll enjoy it here. Softhackles have always produced for me, even on tough tailwaters out west. Here's a few that have worked

pheasant tail

partridge & peacock

b/h pheasant tail

biot & peacock

wire body

Regards,
    Scott

Welcome Gordon! Any friend of Warren's is a friend of mine. Many gracious and giving people here. One fly that always works great for me, especially during the grannom caddis hatch, is the grey hackle peacock, pictured above.
    Bruce

Do a google search on "Wet Fly Patterns"

Check out these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-...ds=allen+mcgee

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-North-Co...TR0BDAQR7MR4E8

Rand

Hello Bruce, I'm happy to meet you. I bet I shocked Warren when he read that I was here on the forum. He and I have become great friends thru email and shared a lot between us and I hope that I make a lot more new friends as time goes on. My most favorite wet fly just so happens to be the Female Egg Laying Grannom in a size # 14. That fly has accounted for more hits and hookups then any other fly that I or my Wife use. Gordon

Hello Scott, Thank you for the patterns which I know that I will tie up and try on the local river and beaver ponds. I an looking forward to meeting everyone over time and sharing and learning new ways to tie. Gordon

Hi gordon and welcome to FAOL!!!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Hi Gordon, my favorite wet fly is the Dark Cahill . The body is muskrat, the wing and tail are lemon wooduck and the hackle is brown. The Light Cahill is great too, same as the Dark Cahill but the body is any cream dubbing ..

+ Reply to Thread