Thread: Stocker Rainbow Trout vs Bright Colors?

Threaded View

Default Stocker Rainbow Trout vs Bright Colors?

http://www.finefishing.com/flies/colorovision trout.htm

In the article above, Gary Borger says,
    Fluorescent colors stand out strongly against background spacelight of any color, and fluorescent shades of reds, oranges, purples, and chartreuse are highly attractive to salmon and trout.
    Anyone fishing for steelhead or migrating salmon is well aware of the attractiveness of lures of these colors. And anglers fishing "glo-bugs" have discovered that trout will take them readily at any time, not just during the spawning migrations
    The stocked trout in a nearby lake seem to have gotten more finicky. They have been in the lake since at least January, and according to reports from guys I know who have checked stomach contents, they have certainly acclimated to dining on the local forage. Gone are the days of "just imitate a fish pellet".

Typically, size 10 and 8 woolly buggers and variants, or nymph patterns in browns, blacks, rust, white or flashy gold have produced well for me. But that bite has seemed to diminish as well. Part of this may be due to the population of trout remaining in the lake continues to be increasingly depleted over time, as many folks take their limit of 5 if they can catch them. That's fine. I'm just trying to improve my success on the trout that DO remain in the lake.

So here's my question. I haven't tried bright colors yet. Flash, yes, but not bright colors like bright orange or chartreuse. I'm wondering if any fellow FAOLers that fish lakes stocked with trout have any notable success with these bright colors? I use chartreuse often for crappies, largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegills, and white bass & hybrids (wipers). I know the trout can see it, I just wonder if they'll hit it or be scared by it.

I take it back...I've caught 2 rainbow trout while casting a chartreuse fly patterns. One hit a chartreuse/yellow Clouser for white bass. I assumed it was a fluke. I also caught one just after dark on a charteuse mylar woolly bugger. It seemed to be the only thing they could still see well enough to strike at the time, but I still only caught the one trout on it. Since I couldn't replicate the experience, it could have been another fluke.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 05-02-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO