+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the last 100 yards :)

Default the last 100 yards :)

Hi
    I just finished applying the second coat of epoxy on the wraps. I am building an Loomis IMX 9' #4.
    I use flex coat lite. Do I need to apply a third coat, or two would be just fine? Cause I don't want to loat d my rod with too much weight.

Also, I got some flex coat tiptop adhesive, a stick for using with heat, or something like that. Can anyone tell me how to use it? I am clueless
    Thanks

------------------
    God Grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
    I most humbly pray, When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,That in His mercy I be judged, As big enough to keep.

Congratulations on your first one. May you be blessed with many more!

Depending on the thickness of your 2 coats and the appearance of the wraps, you may opt to not apply more. If they are smooth and you cannot see ridges from the threads then you should be fine. If you have minor bumps or blemishes in the wraps, you may sand them smooth with 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper (not too much, just enough to remove the blem) and apply a thin but covering coat to finish them out. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight increase, you will never notice the insignificant difference it will make.

the hot glue stick is used to apply the tip top by lots of folks. Simply heat the end of it with a candle or a bic lighter until it melts. Be carful not to let it drip on your fingers...that really burns and you just cant get it off fast enough. As it melts, put it on the tip of the rod where the tip top goes then quickly position the tip top so that it aligns with the guides. If it is off a little after the glue sets, simply heat the tip top very lightly and adjust the positioning.

Post some pictures if you can, we would all love to see it.

Leo

thanks for your advices
    I will post some photos as soon as I finish it
    Can't wait for it

------------------
    God Grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
    I most humbly pray, When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep,That in His mercy I be judged, As big enough to keep.

+ Reply to Thread