+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New birds

Hybrid View

Default New birds

A few new visitors this year. Spotted an Eastern Towhee, which I'd heard a few times in the neighbor's bushes and then this fellow showed up at one of the feeders

Rose-breasted Grosbeak; sorry you can't see the chest from the pic, but the shots I took thru the window were distorted by the screens and this was the only one I could get before he jumped. Usually only see them for a few days during the spring migration, so I was pretty happy.
    Still wondering what's happening with warblers - before I headed to Montana, the only ones I saw were (tons of) Yellow-rumps, many of which are resident, Palms and a single Common Yellowthroat (never did see any Pines; I'm wondering if the extended cold weather we had late March-early April held them back so long that they bypassed the areas I've consistently found them). I come back 11 days later, expecting lots of new ones and all I've found are the Yellow-rumps and a big push of Palms; did hear something that sounded like a Black and White, but no visual. Hopefully everything's just been delayed due to weather.

Regards,
    Scott

I only saw our resident Towhee's a couple of times last week but we did have at least 4 Rose Throated Grosbeaks stop by for a few days. My wife is most excited about the bluebird couple coming to the suet feeder. At least 4 of my 5 bird houses have nest in them. The last couple of years robins have nested in the Japanese Maple directly in front of the window in our dining room. They have start there yet this year, but it's still cool down here for the first of May, although the bream should be on the bed next weekend with a full moon in place, the beds were all scooped out last week at the lake lightning ran me from.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,

We had bluebirds 22 years ago when we first moved into our house and the trees were fresh from the nursery. They used to sit on our neighbor's roof when I was putting flower beds in, waiting for me to dig up grubs; I'd put them on on a paper plate, walk away and let the birds enjoy the buffet.
    Went out for a quick look at a nearby park, saw FOY Baltimore Orioles, a black-throated green warbler, heard a few prairie warblers but never got a good look, and what I'm pretty sure was a black and white warbler. Looks like things are picking up.
    Good luck with the bream fishing (not that you need much luck to catch sunnies); sounds like the making of a good fish fry.

Regards,
    Scott

Migrating warblers, etc.are pushing through here daily. My resident Orioles came from out of nowhere to oranges placed on my deck an hour earlier last Sunday. 1st time I've seen time this year. I took down my finch feeders to move them out to my backyard as I put up my hummer feeders. The finch feeders sat on a table forgotten, during the storms this week, until my wife called me this afternoon, to watch a male Rosebreasted Grosbeck on our table feeding on the overturned feeders.

I went out to the deck to furl some Tenkara lines to take West, when we go in a week or so. As I was running the threads around the pegs, I listened to the scolds of both a male and female Baltimore Oriole fluttering around the nearby trees. I decided running my drill could wait till they were done eating.

My wife tells people we have a great marriage after we retired because: She bought me a set of Binoculars and a field guide and got me into birding. I bought her a fly rod and taught her to fly fish. (I also use that as an excuse to buy more tying supplies- tying for two now(:>))
    Last edited by Kytroutbum; 05-03-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    My wife tells people we have a great marriage after we retired because: She bought me a set of Binoculars and a field guide and got me into birding. I bought her a fly rod and taught her to fly fish. (I also use that as an excuse to buy more tying supplies- tying for two now(:>))
    I love that.
    My wife never complained when we sat in the truck at 5:30 AM, bundled up in blankets waiting for dawn so we could spot the sage grouse on the leks; we are both very lucky men.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    My resident Orioles came from out of nowhere to oranges placed on my deck an hour earlier last Sunday. 1st time I've seen time this year.
    Thanks for mentioning this. We have Orioles come every year, but never hang around long. I mentioned to my wife about cutting an orange in half and putting it on the deck rail. It has been over a week now and it seems every time we look out there are a couple of Orioles on the oranges and maybe another waiting for its turn. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Jesse, We had bluebirds 22 years ago when we first moved into our house and the trees were fresh from the nursery. They used to sit on our neighbor's roof when I was putting flower beds in, waiting for me to dig up grubs; I'd put them on on a paper plate, walk away and let the birds enjoy the buffet. Regards, Scott
    For several years my wife would buy live waxworms especially for the bluebirds and put them in a dish on the deck. This also attracted the Carolina Wrens, which we enjoy their attitude and songs. My wife's proudest day was when she coax a wren into taking a waxworm from her hand. The mockingbirds would come bully the others and eat the waxworms, so I built a little house with screen sides that swung open and holes sized for bluebirds on each end. This excluded the mockingbirds, the wren figured it out right away, it took the bluebirds a little longer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'm very fond of our wrens. They overwinter and search the bricks on the south-facing wall to eat overwintering mosquitoes. They eat a lot of other bugs which overwinter, too. I make sure to keep birdseed out for them.

I love wrens, too. They climb inside our grill on the deck, maybe attracted to the grease, and the potted strawberry plants, tomatoes and flowers. Amazing how such a little bird has such a loud song; insides must be all lungs and voice box.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread