+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: single foot guides

Default single foot guides

Anyone have suggestion on the best way to put these on?

I have only done double foot before.

Rick

I cut very thin strips of masking tape and use them to attach the guides to the rod up by the ring support. Then start wrapping the guide on, and when you get to the tape, you should have enough of the foot wrapped to remove the tape and finish it up.

Ditto what ol' blue said.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I use the tiny rubber bands that the orthodontist use on my kids.

Rick Z;
    I use elastic thread. Once you get the guide in position put a drop of Super glue on the foot so it won't move while wraping. Don't let the super glue get into the thread (what a mess!!). I've found that the masking tape leaves a residue behind that's hard to clean off. Painter's tape (Low Tac) will not if you can find it narrow enough. When you wrap up to the elastic thread just snip it off and finish.
    I do a wrap that LadyFisher posted to keep the single foot guide from coming out. At the end of the wrap I do a 360 around the leg of the guide, finish the wrap and do it again 3 times. I'll see if I can send you a photo.

It is called a Forhan locking wrap. Rodbuilding.org has pretty good instructions for it here: [url=http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html:a280f]http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html[/url:a280f]

You might find a few other tips and tricks that might help you out too. Check them out. Good guys over there, and some of the most skilled builders you will find. But don't leave us here, though.

How about twist ties used on trash bags. They should have a small enough width to allow a decent starting wrap and they shoulp be pretty easy to "untie" when the time comes.

Jack, doesn't the use of super glue prohibit a final tweeking of guide alignment after the wrapping??? I always have to slightly move a couple of my guides after they are wrapped. I also use and like the elastic thread (I call it bunge thread). Allyn

I use thin strips of masking tape which is a pain in in pulling off, etc. I tried finding those orthodonic bands but no place to find them Sat afternoons in the prairie. Some suggested using the tiptop glue stick, but offered its own challenges: cooling too quickly; raising the guide too high off the rod, which when you tie down stays too high; a sense of permanence such as the super glue idea. Jack, I don't know how you do that for I always have to tweak the wrapped guides. I've only built about 8 or 9 rods, though, so I have tons to learn and each one is a learning experience. I just saw a rod I did for a fundraiser last year and compared it to the one I just finished, and my goodness, I was shocked at the difference. Especially with the application of epoxy. I don't have an answer for you Rick. Thin strips of masking tape is all I have for now. JGW

When I do mine, I stick a piece of masking tape on a cutting board. Then I slice very thin strips off of the end using a razor blade. Then I can peel each piece up when I need to use it. It seems to reduce some of the residue by sticking it down first, and makes it easier to keep track of.

+ Reply to Thread