+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Duck River and good friends

Hybrid View

Thumbs up The Duck River and good friends

Today WarrenP, LilJoe, newbee and I hiked to a section of the Duck River that doesn't get much pressure. The hike alone will keep most away and the unusual makeup of the river bottom stops most from fishing this area (nuff said!!). While we had to spend some time hunkered down on a gravel bar during some very scary moments of what sounded like pending thunder storms! We did get a bit wet but the rain and storms moved off to the North East and we were able to get in some excellent fishing in between the Kayak hatch's (one flotilla was at least 1. We all ended up with double digit catch's. I even hooked up with a nice small mouth!!? The Rainbows we landed were of good size with nice bright colors.
    All in all it was a very good day. You can't beat sharing a good day on the River with good friends!

Yes it was a great day fishing even with the Kayak Hatch's and the showers. Being with friends bring out the best of any day. Here are some pictures I took.

WayneC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newbee; 04-28-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Glad to hear you middle Tennessee boys are getting out on some trout water! That is a pretty stretch of river for sure! I have been trying to squeeze in some Clinch river fishing between odd TVA flows. Been tough!

Cheers!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

appalachian angler,

We were fishing the tailwater section on the Duck River below Normandy Dam and there is no generator at that dam, so, our flows are regulated to how much water they are releasing through the dam to maintain the lake level. Yesterday, the flow was very low and I would much rather they release more water so the tailwater area would have more oxygen for the fish. We did see several mayfly hatches coming off the water and I did pick up some rocks to show Liljoe the many nymphs on the bottom of them. Overall, it was a good day.

If you get a chance to come our way, let us know and we will take you fishing here.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I enjoyed being out there with y'all and I enjoyed all the scenery. At the end of the day I had about a dozen trout and like Jack said, the colors on them were very nice . It was a great day out on the water with great friends, and I can't wait to go again!
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

Just a reminder and an invitation!
    We try to get together every Tuesday around 1:30 pm. at the DesignZ by You Coffee by Us shop in Bell Buckle, TN for coffee, lies and planning the next Sundays outing. Everyone is invited so come on down!!

+ Reply to Thread