+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand-Made Slant Tank

Blog Entries

Default Hand-Made Slant Tank

I have been trying to get a "real" slant tank for quite a while. My Cousin, who is very handy. fashioned this one.
    I took a few preliminary photos. Just getting the hang of using it. I think it will work out.
    After the pic of the entire slant tank (quite small actually) I show the fly before and after going for a ride on the water.

Tried it outside. A bit windy and hard to control the location of the fly on the surface. Will try when there is no breeze and get a pic at different distances.
    But, it does provide interesting observations...I think, anyway.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-28-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Very impressive Byron. I am sure that we are all going to benefit from your observations............I hope.......LOL That tank look absolutely great. He did an excellent job with that project.

Blog Entries

Hickory,
    You never know..............I know I will learn some things.

AlanB Guest

Nowt wrong wi that, as they would say where I hale from. Very nice in fact. Looking forward to seeing more from it.

If you are using it outside another piece of glass loose over the top will stop the wind problems. It may cost you a stop or two loss in exposure, worth a try though.

Cheers,
    A.

Very cool. It might be interesting to float some real insects with it as well.
    Bob

It is interesting all the attention that we fly tyers give to all the smallest details in constructing our flies, but give very little consideration, by comparison, to the prominence to the hook on which the fly is tied, as evidenced in your pictures.

Blog Entries

John,
    My theory is that the trout's instincts, when feeding, concentrate on positive triggers in the relatively short time they have in order to "decide" whether or not to feed on the object approaching. If they see enough positive triggers, they take the object as their food source.
    We will never know, although we do know they take flies with hooks protruding.

This reminds me of the origin of the Sparkle Dun. Mathews and Juracek were crossing a fence on the Henry's Fork at the upper end of the Ranch. Mathews looked back (on a sunny day) and noticed shiny glimmers on the surface of the water in a small back eddy. It was the shiny trailing shuck of a bunch of cripples.
    This provided them with the idea of the shiny trailing shuck "trigger" on their widely popular Sparkle Dun.

Below is the Sparkle Dun on the surface (floating away).
    And, from below with that obvious trailing shuck.

O
    r, You could always go with a USD pattern

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-29-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Every year the Winter Hatches Fly Fishing Club holds a educational hands-on tying Symposium. One year each of the intructors received a slant box as an honorarium. I should use mine more - it is interesting to not only see the fly from the bottom, but also to see how long it will float - sometimes 2 or 3 days!

You might check the archives on FAOL under Flies Only to see images that JC and I made over 40 years ago using a slant tank that Vince Marinaro showed us how to build. What's new is really old.

The Chronicler

AlanB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    - it is interesting to not only see the fly from the bottom, but also to see how long it will float - sometimes 2 or 3 days!
    That's one looooong drift!
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread