+ Reply to Thread

Thread: April Showers Bring May Flowers

Blog Entries

Default April Showers Bring May Flowers

One of my favorite pastimes in early May on stream is to look for the really early wildflowers. I have places I look specifically for each one.

My Dutchmann's Breeches are quite hard to find. Tavern Road in Crawford County on the banks of the Kickapoo River are their home.

My Bells Wort is on Knapps Creek in north western Richland County. The yellow leaves of this spring emerger can easily hide under the green leaves because of the similar size and shape.

The Virginia Blue Bells come out near the end of May. They love more of a wet soil. They cover the floors of the small valleys of one of my favorite areas next to Tainter Creek in north central Crawford County.

Spring Beauties are one of my favorites. I think their colors and accents are amazing. The piping on the petals is one of nature's true masterpieces. Maybe I add a special significance to finding them each spring because it was the first flower my dad showed to me and identified to me as a child. They come out first on the stream I caught my very first trout in 1964 in Crawford County. The stream has no name.

Get out there and discover some of nature's wonders. No one ever made lifelong memories behind the keyboard. Please go out exploring and take your children with you.

On Saturday morning, I took my 5 year old granddaughter to the first time fishing derby held on the Poole Forge Mansion grounds, in Lancaster County, PA, for trout that had been stocked in the Conestoga Creek by a local sportsmen's club. Poole Forge is an old iron forge that is about 300 years old, and consists of several old limestone houses and buildings, a covered bridge across the creek, all in a park-like setting.

It was a beautiful, sunny, spring morning, and a perfect day to be outside.

After fishing for awhile, we went back to our car to get something to eat, and while we were sitting at a picnic table eating our snacks, my granddaughter said to me "I love being here with you, and outside in nature."

Her comment made my day.

You're absolutely right about getting out there, and taking your children with you. I'll have memories from this past Saturday that I'll never forget. It was almost incidental that my granddaughter also caught 4 trout all by herself.

John

Absolutely wonderful John R. That had to be an experience she'll remember long past the time you won't be there to help her bait the hook. A great experience and she'll never know how those simple words will stay with you forever.

+ Reply to Thread