+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Rod - 2pc or 4pc?

Default 1st Rod - 2pc or 4pc?

I'm almost ready to build my first rod. My question is - two piece or four piece? What are the basic pros/cons of either choice.

I do a lot of backbacking into mountain streams and I only own four or more piece rods. However, if a two piece is better for a beginner that's fine too.

Thanks for any advice.
    Mark Russell
    Colo Spgs, CO

If you are using for backpacking, I'd definitely go with a 4 or more piece. I think todays technology has reached a point where you don't pay a penalty in performance to have the multipiece rods and there are some decent blanks being produced for even the entry level price ranges.
    I think that for beginning builders, multi-piece rods are better because the shorter sections are easier to handle and there are fewer guides on each section to align.

I find a 4 pc rod easier to build than a 2 pc. Even tho there are more wraps to make at the ferrules you can put any 2 sections together...it fits and balances better (on my rod wrapper anyway)

msr1;
    I'm in full agreement with Ol' blue and Buzz. The shorter blanks on a 4 0r 5 pc. are easier to work with and seem faster to build.

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have also asked - Do the shorter sections of four piece blanks make it harder to find the spine.

Blog Entries

yes it is harder on a 4 piece, but not a big deal. We have been going around and around on that topic here on FAOL. You may be able to have the spline marked by the supplier, some will do that for you.

4 piece models are harder to spine, but most builders these days no longer consider spine very important. Go for the straightest axis!

4 piece models cost a little more. If I were traveling I'd go with 4, but if not traveling by plane, I"d stick with 2 pieces.

Get the 4 piece, it's going to be much easier to drag through the brush.

If you ever want to change your mind just leave the top and bottom mid-sections connected and treat it just like it was a 2 piece rod.

This way I can store my 4 piece rods in a travel tube designed for 2 pc rods. Best of both worlds.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you can't find the spine, how much will it really affect your rod's performance? Mark it if you can find it, otherwise just build it as you see fit.

Don't lose any sleep over the spine. Over time yo will have to figure it out just to know. At that point you will find you don't care anymore. I took my 9' 6wt 2 piece out and intentionally turned the tip section to point the guides up at about 1:00 o'clock. Went to fishing and forgot about it. Two hours later remembered I had changed it for to test it. Point is....I didn't even notice the difference in my fishing.

Gem

+ Reply to Thread