+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water bottle or filter??

Default Water bottle or filter??

I'd like to find a good quality water bottle to carry fishing. Something to keep water cool all day. Or even if they make a filter where you can fill it up on the stream and drink safely. Although I suspect a filter would be expensive. Any thoughts or experience??

As always, thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

they make water bottles with internal filiters that you fill up with stream water and it cleans them. or a cpl of aluminum water bottles dropped in the stream, teatherd to you will stay crip all day. another option in a camel-back with insulate covering.

99% of the time I'll use the bottled water because it is without a doubt cheaper. However, that being said, when doing some remote fishing, while away from the campsite or easy access to the bottled water, I'll carry in the back of the fishing vest a filter "straw" (maybe like the one I've posted below), that's for when it comes down to matter of I've got to. Right now it's in the little camper and I can't get to get to make sure of the name but I think it is the posted one.

http://www.amazon.com/Vestergaard-Fr.../dp/B006QF3TW4

Jason, Rumor has it that you are a big ole boy. Big ole boys need lots of water, take about 3 bottles of water, they are about 10 - 12 cents for the Walmart brand; I picked up a case at CVS on sale <$3. Freeze a couple and put them where they will thaw and stay cool; keep one where you can drive out of it. When float tubing on the Hooch, I have a piece of cord and a snap on it so the bottom of the bottle drags in the river; when warm water fishing I use a red neck thermos, two Koozies over a bottle of water, insulates the bottle and keeps it cool. I will check with my hiking friend and see what he does, I suspect a filter, he is very weight conscious when he is trying to complete the AT hike.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Beer.
    Peter

I am looking at a filter in a bottle from a place in Evanston, WY. It runs about $35 which may sound like a lot but it will filter from 50 to 75 gallons I think. It takes out all the bad stuff including geardea (sp?) A lot of the places I fish and hunt have some great springs nearby. This would mean less weight for me to pack around.
    Wyo-Blizzard

I know this probably won't be well received. The problem with bottled water is that the bottles are often discarded after they are used. Yes, they are easy to carry and safe. But they're also easy to toss and that hurts all of us. A canteen or other aluminum container is still good enough and if you like to drink a lot of fluid, or fear you may need more then 1 container, I guess you should get some type of purifier.

Allan

Allan, You are absolutely correct. I guess I automatically, and I hope correctly so, hold the conduct of the members of this board to a higher standard. I was out at a park checking out the Hooch this week and picked up someone's discarded water bottle. I would be in favor of putting park rangers in tree stands with telescopic cameras and radios with another the ground.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Allan,

Until you mentioned it, I had never given any thought to a canteen! Thanks! I may have to visit the Army Surplus store soon......
    Last edited by WarrenP; 04-27-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Look into a Steripen. Expensive, but small enough to throw in a Pocket.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread