+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whitefly nymph pattern?

Default whitefly nymph pattern?

hey guys,

so i've been asked to tie up some size 16 whitefly nymph patterns... i cant seem to find a pattern at all, let alone one that's not too complex... its for a local tackle shop, i'm at a loss, from the pictures i see of a whitefly nymph a small beetle type pattern in white would do? suggestions?

thanks,
    spoof

PS, this is one of the few times i would rather design a dry! seems like it would be easier (for me at least)
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Would this work for you?

http://mtbpt.blogspot.com/2010/11/ho...fly-nymph.html

Nymph in this example is tied as a 20. I'm sure it could be up sized. Not sure it meets your requirements of "not too complex" but may be it's a starting point.
    Joe Bertolini

Here's some info on the ephoron leukon, the whitefly that I know of that hatches in late summer on the Potomac in MD

http://www.wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-l...yfly-hatch.asp

Bigger bug than the #16's you're tying; something with a white, or light grey ostrich abdomen would probably work - kinda like a Feather Duster nymph, sorta kinda. Since it's a burrower, like a hexagenia, brown drake, etc, you could take any pattern for those and downsize/change colors and probably get something that would work. Here's a hex nymph that's a bit involved, but kinda cool

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...100900fotw.php

Regards,
    Scott

spoof,

One August morning several years ago, I was on the West Branch Delaware at Hancock and watched as 2 guides cleaned out their drift boat. The evening before they had been in the midst of a 'white fly' hatch. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the entire bottom of the boat was covered with a yellowish scum. It was the eggs the female insects had laid. The guides told me the hatch was so thick that it was very hard to follow the fly pattern from among the naturals. They said a size 14 white Wulff worked well but also said that an odd color pattern (easier to see) was useful too. Anyway, here's a link to some info, and by-the-way, the Latin name for this insect is ephoron leukon.
    http://www.wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-l...yfly-hatch.asp
    Just noticed this link is same as post above.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 04-25-2014 at 02:23 PM.

thanks guys, this would have been easier if i knew it was a species of mayfly... type whitefly in google and it doesn't give you much.

alra195- that is perfect, i can whip those little fellas up in a few minutes, i try to stay away from time consuming patterns when i have an order from this particular tackle shop, i get store credit for them... note i said tackle shop, not fly shop worms are nice, but flies are better

ScottP, and Allan- you guys rock...
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Allan,

I hit the hatch one evening fishing for smallmouth on a stream outside Baltimore (didn't have anything that matched the bugs but did okay with a deer hair moth; kinda like the change-up that you mentioned). Unbelievably thick; when I walked across a bridge to get back to my car it looked like it had snowed, except it was squishy.

Regards,
    Scott

White fly nymphs are burrowers and not readily available until just before the hatch. It might be more productive to design emergers. (A white soft hackle works really well for me.)
    Bob

Spoof,

Glad to hear that one will work for you. Good Luck with your order to the "tackle shop".
    Joe Bertolini

A size 16 is definitely small for ephoron leukon nymph. A "white" or cream colored nymph in a 16 would be more appropriate for a light cahill. White fly adults are best imitated on sz 12-10 dry fly hooks.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread