+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating Vise

Hybrid View

Default Rotating Vise

I just watched several YouTube videos of two well-known tiers. The flies I watched tied were a few Salmon flies like the Blue Charm and Rusty Rat. Then I watched 2 tiers, each tying the Grey Ghost. One was tied on a CS 10xl hook and the other on a 6xl hook. One of these tiers used a Renzetti and the other used a LAW vise. The funny thing was that neither used the 'rotary' function for either of these flies although one even said how important it was to get the rib evenly spread the entire length of the hook(tying the Grey Ghost). So I just wonder, if these tiers didn't use the rotary function on these flies where it would have been very appropriate and the function very applicable, why have it at all?
    Just asking.

Allan

Because they're old school. Once you learn to PROPERLY use a true rotary vice, there is no old school substitute. The key is true rotation.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

What Coach said...

Because it can.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Because they're old school. Once you learn to PROPERLY use a true rotary vice, there is no old school substitute. The key is true rotation.
    Hi Bob,

I don't know if the tiers I observed were 'old school' or not. All I observed was that they both had top of the line 'true rotary vises', yet they did not use the rotary function even though the flies tied were precisely what those vises were built to do. Maybe for these tiers the vises were an ego thing or something other then functional?
    Now I have a question for anyone here: Have you seen any tying videos, except for the Norvise or a 'rotary vise sponsored' demonstration, where the rotary function is used? Was the tier somewhat renown or a John Doe who happened to make a video?

Allan

Old school? Thats basically saying they "choose" not to tie using the "better" method out of stubborness. I have tied for 24yrs now, and gone back and forth with rotary vise options a couple times over the years thinking I must be "missing" something. But I purchased a new Regal Medalion last year, while passing on my 24yr old Regal to my son....still non-rotary. Don't need rotary to be honest. I find the feel of thread and material tension to be far better without. Don't like switching hands, tying off and staging the materials that rotary requires either. I use the function of rotary to tie in throats and inspect the fly. Thats about it. I don't find rotary to be better at all....personally.

There's a real advantage to tying rotary in a couple of things - the one I can think of is wrapping wire - if you wrap it around the hook, you can weaken it to where it can break, because you are twisting it with every wrap. And anything you have to take a lot of wraps, it goes smoother if you just can hold it in one place and turn the wheel. The rotary vises like a Renzetti, which you have to move your material hand back and forth don't lend themselves to this. On the other hand, there are things you want to twist with every wrap like dubbing. I have always meant to get the Beatty's book on Rotary Tying.

One reason that rotary vices are not turned on videos is that it makes it harder to see what is happening.
    Also winding wire while rotating the vice is much faster than doing it by hand.
    Faster is not always better on a video.
    My nickel on this.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I have always meant to get the Beatty's book on Rotary Tying.
    I think if you did you would see many different techniques than just simple wrapping.

Blog Entries

I tie with a Nor-Vise. Sometimes I use the rotary function, sometimes I don't. Why? No real reason, depends what I am tying and how I want to do it. Rotary vises are very nice to have and use. I began tying on an old Herter's vice designed after the Thompson A vise, then moved on to the Griffin Patriot vis, still a great vise and one I use now and then, but then I tried the Nor-Vise and mostly use it now.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread