As Jim said, Chris Helm's site would be a good site to visit, a good source of information and material. You need deer belly hair for spinning bugs, a heavier thread so it doesn't break when you apply the pressure to spin the hair on the shank. Something to pack the hair tight, the bottom of a ball point pen with do in a pinch, that's what I use when I tie them. A thought on packing the hair tight. If it looks like you have enough hair on the shank, you probably don't. Pack it tighter and add a couple of more bunches. Wide gape hooks, look out side of the fly shops and catalogs. I like to use what I like to use are either round bend straight shanked worm or spinner bait hooks. They're wide gape and the one's made by Gamakatsu, Owner or Eagle Claw are extremely sharp, as my thumb can attest when I try packing the hair with my fingers instead of using a packer. The most frustrating part of tying deer hair bugs.. shaping them. A sharp pair of scissors and a half of a safety razor blade. You can still find them in stores like CVS or Walgreen's. You need to be careful when breaking the blade in half but it can be done. The razor blade half is used to do most of the shaping and trimming. The scissors for minor trims of stray hair.
Patterns. I tie one called a Polliwog. It was originally developed as an Alaskan salmon fly, and when I first saw the pattern in a tying magazine, the body was thumb shaped. I think it is tied differently these days. I'm not real good with deer hair. This is what one of the Polliwogs I tied looks like. It's tied on a 2/0 Partridge Pike hook. Hopefully, someone of will post up some good examples of deer hair bugs to show you what they should look like.

Poly.jpg