Welcome to the world of warmwater fly fishing. Tying deerhair bugs can be frustrating until you get the hang of it. The biggest challenge is getting the hair packed tightly to make a bug that trims up nicely and floats well. I strongly recommend that you get something like a Brassie http://www.fishusa.com/product/Brass...FUtk7AodRHAAYg which will get the job done and save your fingers from trying to pack the hair by hand. Also, make sure that you use hooks with a wide enough gap for Deer hair flies. Even when you trim the hair very closely on the bottom of the pattern, it uses up some of the hook gap. Also, different kinds/cuts deer hair is better for deer hair bug than other kinds. I suggest that you visit Chris Helms' website as he is extremely knowledgeable about the different hairs and his products are always top notch.

If you're still in the process of getting an outfit for fly fishing for bass, then I would recommend that you look for a used 9 foot 7 wt outfit. You can get much higher quality used equipment for as cheap or cheaper than lower quality equipment purchased new. You can get a reel with a nice drag system, but you will almost never use it for bass. I fish for them extensively and even the largest bass I've caught on a fly rod (somewhere between 9-10lbs) don't pull out much line. They tend to pull hard for a couple of minutes and perhaps jump a few times, but they quit the fight within a few minutes. I'd spend my money on a higher quality line and get a mid range reel like a Scientific Angle System 2L or even an Okuma reel.

I hope this helps and perhaps some of the other experienced bass anglers/tyers will jump in to offer their expertise.

Jim Smith