Thread: Deer hair bugs for bass

Threaded View

I. Start by reading Helm's interview deerhair in Hatches: https://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/175

II. Purchase Helm's CD... Chris Helms is a fantastic tyer and his CD is great - a wise investment! He is also the guy to get constant high quality deer hair from (plus he's good guy!).

III. However, for over 25 years, I attended/tyed at Southern Council Conclave and sat across from or next to Billy Munn at virtually every one of those conclaves. Unfortunately, Billy's health has kept him from the last few Southern Council Conclaves (Fly Fairs/shows). In my opinion, Billy is The Master of Deer Hair... There are others who are great, even more than great! Names like Helms and Mike George, Royce Dam, Nix and others immediately come to mind, but if you are only going to purchase a single CD from which to learn (Why would you limit yourself ?) then I suggest that that first CD be Billy Munn's: "Tying Hair Bugs with Billy Munn". This CD was shot by a tyer. It is like sitting down with Billy. His CD is still my favorite tying CD of all time... You will not regret purchasing a copy! However, it is very hard to find... Just keep looking...

IV. Track down one of Royce Dam's CD's on deerhair... Again, money more than well spent! Royce is a MASTER at all types of tying... One of the very best ever... ever! Again, Royce's CD's may be hard to locate, but more than worth the effort!

V. Try to find someone who wiling to loan ya' Nix's old DVD's (CD's)... Again, you'll learn so much. By the way Nix, used to travel to Munn's house
    for a couple of years nights each week, in order to master the skills that eventually got him the Buz Buszek Memorial Fly Tying Award... The highest award in tying in the world. The Buzsek was also awarded to Munn, Dam and Helm... So, they're all the TOPS!

VI.
    Buy a box of 100 hooks, a half of a northern deer hide and several boxes of double-edged razor blades. Most hides from the midwest, and ALL from the South, are not worth your time! Preferably, buy a tanned hide, as working from a tanned hide is sooo much better than working off rawhide! Believe me, using a raw hide will hinder your progress!!

Then tie up 100 bugs (you don't need to tie on the tails)...

Use your razor blade to trim the 100 bugs... (Toss your blades if they even begin to get a little dull!!)
    Take your razor blade and cut ALL the hair off those 100 hooks... Yeah, I said all the hair!

Repeat...
    Repeat...
    Repeat...

Do this four or five times, and you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn.

There is a learning advantage to spinning up 100 bugs and then cutting 100 bugs at one time!!! If ya' haven't tried , you'll never appreciate this exercise!

Oh, and I won't loan ya' ANY of my copies of these CD/DVD's! These are all great folks who have generously taught thousands of us to tie at IFFF shows for years and years. So , please don't "cheap out" and bootleg their copyrighted material! Support these folks - Nix, Munn and Dam are all retired for many years, and Chris is probably real close, if not already retired...

Good luck,

Bowfin47

PS

Also pick up some Band-Aids before ya' start... HA!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 04-23-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson