+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Four Ties

Default Four Ties

Hi,

Haven't had much time at the vice lately, so a bit rusty, but got a few tied recently. From top to bottom we have a Dark Betty, Hammlim Minnow, Copper Dorothy, and an unnamed pukeko style fly.

The first I usually tie with royal blue floss for the body, but this one uses "Doc. Blue" thread. This is a variant of a fly Betty Hiner introduced to me (a light blue and snipe, which I call a Betty Blue). The 2nd is one of my more productive ties, though I usually leave off the fancy bits (tag, butt, and topping; it's in the FOTW archives somewhere). The Copper Dorothy is a matuka style streamer. Basically, any matuka style tied with grizzle for the wings and hackle is called a "Dorothy", and the body colour completes the name (hence Copper Dorothy because the body is copper mylar; Green Dorothy is probably the most popular, though Silver Dorothy has her fans she often plays second fiddle to a Grey Ghost - here in NZ that refers to a silver bodied matuka fly, with grey streamers and hackle, not the American version). The bottom one is just a basic pattern, tied flat wing style, using pukeko breast feathers (the blue ones) for the wing. These typically have a thickish body (in this case some pinkish/white mix of dubbing material), sometimes a short tag for a tail (red wool yarn, pulled apart), and a throat or full collar hackle. Probably taken for a water beetle of some sort.

Anyway, we're off to Rotorua soon for a bit of a holiday, so I thought I should get a few flies ready. I've done well there with the HammLim and the Copper Dorothy in the past, so hopefully I can say that again!

- Jeff

Last edited by JeffHamm; 04-22-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Now I've go the Ozark Mountain Daredevils song "Jackie Blue" running through my head with the words "Betty Blue" substituted.
    You have something to answer for, Mr. Hamm.

Regards,
    Ed

Hmmm, seems Karma caught up with me then! Just back from our Rotorua trip. Didn't get so much as a look the whole time there. The fishing has been pretty hard these days (so I was told anyway), but I've never seen it so fishless. I've gone without often enough, but when I'm not seeing the locals catch many (I think I only saw 1 fish actually caught, and 3 others after the fact, but for 3 days in the area, that's slim pickings). There were lots of spawning rainbows in the Ngongataha stream, which is good to see, and I spooked a number of fish from the pools (must remind myself again, do not try and fish that river top down, always fish it up stream - fish can see you a mile away if you try and fish it down stream).

Oh, and not only that, I forgot to try the flies I specifically tied for this trip! Go figure.

- Jeff

Jeff, I'm very sorry to read that your "Karma had a flat". I hope that you have a magnificent outing the next time. I hope by then I'm not still playing "Betty Blue" in my head.

Regards,
    Ed

Hi Jeff; I wonder if someone has been feeding the fish Super Glue. Lips stuck together would make it hard for them eat your delicious flies. Have Fun.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Thanks for the sympathy, but I had fun all the same. I enjoy getting out on the water. I like catching, don't get me wrong, and given that the fish in this area are pretty much all stocked (though left to roam free for a few years), there's no guilt in having smoked trout for tea! But, if it was as simple as just showing up, well, I would probably get bored after a bit. I tend to change flies if I'm catching a lot, just to see what else works rather than trying to catch as many as possible. Hmmm, last time I was down there, and the fishing was tough, I did get one on a cosseboom (an atlantic salmon fly, which I tie on size 10 2x hooks). I should have tried one of those. Just remembered that now; I knew I would solve it eventually - a shame I can't prove it would have worked, but trust me, a big one just got away!

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread