+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I was wondering

Default I was wondering

I am enjoying the heck out of this tenkara thing and just this past sat. found out the gill are back up and taking flys.
    So the question, while tenkara proper is meant for high mountain streams is there a form that is tenkara like, but designed for say ponds or warm water streams? I use the my rod with out much worry about what it was specifically designed for, but can't help but wonder if some other type or style of fixed line rod would be just as good or at least designed for this specific environment. having said all that what other types of fixed line rods are out there and what are they designed for? HOSS

I'm sure Chris may have a definitive answer but my 13 1/2 foot Amogo does just fine.

I can't give you a definitive answer because I suspect there are others I don't know about.
    Here are the ones I do know of:
    Tenkara - fly fishing on mountain streams (and "main streams" ie. rivers in the mountains)
    Keiryu - bait fishing on mountain streams (and main streams) also referred to a myaku tsuri (Pulse fishing, similar to French au toc, tight line fishing feeling for the "tap tap" indicating a hit)
    Seiryu - bait fishing on "clear streams" - streams that are out of the mountains, but generally not major rivers, using floats, targeting smaller fish (chubs, etc). They hold competitions for this.
    Hera - bait fishing for crucian carp (MUCH smaller than our common carp) in lakes, with floats
    Tanago - bait fishing, largely confined to lakes and ditches for bitterling (max. about 4"), with floats
    Mebaru - bait fishing for salt water "rock fish" from shore

I know some people fish for a species of shrimp called "kleptomaniac shrimp" using bait, but I don't know what the style of fishing is called.

There are fixed line rods designed for carp (common carp) fishing and others designed for salmon fishing (bait fishing in both cases).

To my knowledge, there is no fixed line fly fishing done in Japan in lakes for bluegills and bass, etc, even though they have bluegills and bass. There is some fixed line fly fishing for the fish seiryu fishermen seek, but I don't think it is common and I don't know whether it would be called tenkara because it is fly fishing or seiryu because the streams are not mountain streams. Some tenkara fishermen use seiryu and keiryu rods when tenkara fishing.
    Tenkara Bum

I use my Tenkara rod for panfish. I don't worry abut using dry flies.
    Have caught a lot of fish with subsurface flies on this rod. Great fun.
    Rick

I use my Iwana for panfish and have a wonderful time. I use a weighted McGinty and also foam poppers and just plain have fun. I learned a long time ago that fly fishing is either as complicated as you wish to make it or as easy as you wish to make it. I prefer to have fun. In my opinion, panfish on my Iwana is just about as much fun as a guy or gal can have with their pants on....go have fun and experiment with what you have.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Thanks y'all. Don't worry I have plenty of fun. I just read a little about, what was it, seriyu and keriyu and was wondering what all was out there. Thanks T-Bum for the semi-definitive explanation. Keiryu sounds interesting and I would love to get a tanago rod from your site one day soon.

Honestly, I think everyone is a little too enamored with the word "tenkara" in much the same way as I remember when I got my first fly rod - and reel - back in the '60s (I was just 12) and it seemed you had to use it to fish for trout (that's what Boy's Life said!). Then I found a friend who liked fishing for bluegill and bass with his and he freed my Midwestern soul! When you have an artificial fly on the end of your line, no matter what the rod looks like, it's all just fly fishing. We should always remember the roots an honor them. However, I think it's time to begin to use plain language and call it fixed-line fly fishing in America. Even TenkaraUSA has used 'fixed-line fly fishing' as a historical umbrella term on their 'About' page.

+ Reply to Thread