+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Commercial flies

Blog Entries

I myself have considered tying custom flies, but also as supplemental income in retirement. I believe as has been said, you have to have some patterns not commercially available. I still purchase a few, but tie almost all my nymphs. I have come up with a streamer that is pretty awesome. I too don't believe you could live on the income from just tying. I have tried many commercial ties, some were decent, most only survived a couple takes. Filling boxes with cheapos is a waste of money just to say you have them. Commercial materials often vary in both color and texture, and you are never sure of hook quality. I have found a couple of hooks, that are dirt cheap and very strong and sharp for little more that pennies each, and most common sizes are available.

I have some experience here. There are varying qualities of flies. (as with everything). Sometimes, the flies fall apart or dries don't float... other times... for 50 cents each, hard to say no. I have found an on line dealer of imported flies & another source that provide flies that are "good enough"... considering how often I lose flies (rocks, trees, bushes, fish)... it's hard to lose $2 a shot... (with $4 per gallon gasoline).
    My background is/was "Traditionally Tied Flies"... before JK Hill & all the other companies... until I found a good wholesale resource, quality control was a beyatch...

I have gotten into fly tying in a big way for a simple reason. I'm not able healthwise to use the flies and other equipment I have safely and for any length of time anymore. Tying flies gives me an outlet that keeps me in touch with the fishing scene and is definitely not ever going to save me money. I only hope somewhere down the line someone can get further use out of the amount of items that seem to almost appear magically around the tying bench (well, paypal would disagree with the magically).

Years ago when we were out on one of the first excursions with the new to me bassboat I landed a nice fish. Wife looked up from her book as I released it and said, "Oh good, we're down to $10,000 a fish and you throw it back."

This is similar to trying to save money tying flies. I have many hundred flies sitting in boxes and if I figured out cost/fly ratio including those boxes and items on the shelves I'm sure I could buying Rapala lures for the cost of each fly.

+ Reply to Thread