+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV acrylic to finish the wraps.

Question UV acrylic to finish the wraps.

Has anyone tried to cover the thread wraps with UV acrylic? If you did what did you use? I was thinking that the thin type would cover the wraps nicely. It also could be good in preserving the thread colors.

I have been refurbishing some old bamboos and fiberglass rods. I mostly use varnish to cover the wraps and the blank. My philosophy is to bring them back to fish and I do fish them regularly. I don't have any high end rod, just the blue collar kind of rods... My favorite pond rod is a 6wt True temper fiberglass....

M.
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

well it looks like nobody tried it... so, here we go. I will get some uv acrylic and try it on a broken rod as a test. It might take a week or so to get the thin UV acrylic.

M

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Cliff

Cliff, I just ordered the thin uv acrylic. Will have it in few days and then will test it on few wraps. My plan is to test 1 and 2 applications of the thin acrylic and 1 application of the thick acrylic. See how is the build up and the change of color of thread (with no color preserve added).
    M

I seem to remember that someone posted on this way back when (maybe kbproctor).

He was experimenting with it but thought it might be pricey on a production level.

Yes, the acrylics are pricey, but then I am refurbishing few rods a year (at most 2-3). So, as amateur in refurbishing rods, I can afford a $10 bottle (0.5oz) of acrylic that could last for finishing at least 3-4 rods.

M

The UV cured resin saved my butt last week.

My fiance had a tip top come loose on here while fishing in the Smokys last week.
    I searched around, but didnt have any sort of glue to reattach the tip top.
    I did have some UV resin with me. I heated the tip top with a lighter to melt what glue was there.
    I did that to help keep it in place.
    Then I put some resin over the end of the tip top and onto the thread wrap at the tip top.
    Presto, it was cured in an instant and the tip top was tight. No problems with it the rest of the trip!

That is a very interesting article! thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting on my order of the thin loon UV acrylic. I hope to get it today in the mail.

M

Any further development on this thread?

I need to start a 'glass build this week and since it is going to be a 'test mule' for a few things I think I will have a go with the UV resin on the wraps.

+ Reply to Thread