+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ergonomics for Tyers

Blog Entries

Default Ergonomics for Tyers

Question: What is the most comfortable position for long tying sessions? Vise approximately waist high or higher, or lower? What type of chair do you prefer? Thanks.

For gross or better days, I'm positioned with the jaws between elbow and shoulder high (usually nearer collar bone) as measured by a hanging arm. Desk top at 5 inches or so above navel. Chair has good seat cushion, short bench, straight/erect spine, feet flat on the deck, thighs nearly level (knees slightly higher than the hip joint), and head phones w/nasal cannula. Beverage handy.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

AlanB Guest

If your vice is in a position that means you have to hold your arms up something will start to hurt sooner or later, arms, shoulders, back or neck, something will give. A good way to set the height of your vice is to sit in the chair you are using and put your fist under your chin. Where your elbow comes to is the height at which your arms can be relaxed at your sides while you tie.

Now you have a problem. If you have a pedestal vice you can not adjust the height of your vice to this point and still get your knees under the bench. That is where the vice extensions come in. The "L" shaped bracket that fits into the clamp of your vice and moves it out from the table. Most people use them upside down, with the extension coming out of the top of the clamp. If you set your vice to this height with the extension coming out of the top of the clamp it will get in your way. In the "L" position it is unobtrusive.

Then there is another problem. One I have had to deal with at great expense last year. If you need glasses most people go for a pair of readers. The vice jaws are now further away from your eyes, and out of the focal range of reading glasses. Next time you get new reading glasses go to an optician that offers 2 for one. Before you go get your significant other to measure from the bridge of your nose to the vice jaws. Ask your optician to set the focal length of one of the 2nd pair of readers to this distance.

I have quite a few back problems, since adopting this position tying has not caused me any of the pain I used to suffer. Thanks go to Chris Helm who first showed me this position at the Chatsworth Angling Show about 20 years ago.

If you have a favourite beverage on the bench while tying, put your scissors down before taking a drink!

Cheers,
    A.

Like to be comfortable, but really, get up and move around once in a while??? If I tie flies to the point that I get sore, and can't walk around and loosen up a bit, there is a big problem!

could never, ever, be a commercial tyer.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    If your vice is in a position that means you have to hold your arms up something will start to hurt sooner or later, arms, shoulders, back or neck, something will give. A good way to set the height of your vice is to sit in the chair you are using and put your fist under your chin. Where your elbow comes to is the height at which your arms can be relaxed at your sides while you tie.
    This would be around my navel. Is that accurate?

I am most comfortable tying with my elbows at my side

Blog Entries

I don't tie long enough at one sitting to get "tired".
    But, I tie about like Walt did:

I need to be able to sit with my back against the chair. If I have to lean forward, I'll get tired much faster. This necessitated using an extension to bring the vise out away from the edge of the table. If I have my upper arms hanging at my sides and my hands about chest high, that's where I position the vise.

AlanB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    This would be around my navel. Is that accurate?
    For me it works out a couple of inches above. It may be different for you. Try placing your fist under your chin (do it gently - don't go knocking yourself out) and see.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread