+ Reply to Thread

Thread: line recommendations for a Winston BII X ?

Hybrid View

Default line recommendations for a Winston BII X ?

Hi Folks,
    A friend wanted a recommendation for a 5 wt line for his BIIX. he is relatively new to Flyfishing.I am something of a dinosaur and fish mostly slower action rods and bamboo.I think the BIIX, while not a rocket launcher is a faster actioned rod.I was thinking SA GPX or SA trout. He fishes mostly dries and hoppers.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

The 5wt is my rod of most common use, so much so I have three of them! Two niners, one is fast action and the other is a moderate. The other is an eight foot which is also a moderate action rod. I use both DT and WF lines, SA plus a Cortland 444 Peach, all work just fine with any of the rods.

Blog Entries

Dale,

Expect for my bamboo rod, I fish all Sage rods. When I have a question about what is the best fly line to use I contact Sage and they tell me.

So, if I were you I would contact Winston and ask them. I am sure they have a staff that is well informed and will be more than happy to let you
    know what the best line is. Here is a link to contacting Winston. http://winstonrods.com/category/abou...on/contact.php

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have the BIIX in both a 4 wt. and 6 wt. and, for me at least, I think it's pretty much the ideal action. That being said, I've read varied opinions from owners of that rod as to what constitutes the "ideal" line for them. I've read plenty who think it's a rod that is perfectly suited to a true-to-weight line. I'm one of those who like it better with an overweighted line, like the GPX or the old Rio Grand. I always liked the Rio Grand even better than the GPX, but they've apparently changed that line to a full weight heavier now instead of the old half weight heavier that I've enjoyed. For what it's worth, it looks like the Rio Avid line now features the same taper profile and weight characteristics of the "old" Grand. Either way, I think your friend might be best off spending a few minutes with you or some others, stringing up their 5 wt. lines and seeing which best suits his casting style.

Thanks guys. I will contact Winston for him but I also appreciate feedback from people that fish it over time. Your responses were helpful .thanks again.i use Cortland 444 , Wulff TT and SA Xps on my slower rods.but was thinking SA GPX for his BiIX .good to hear some other options.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Blog Entries

I have a BIIX. It is 9' and a 5wt.
    I use SA Mastery WF.
    casts well, no complaints.

I fish BIIx as well as many others including glass and bamboo. ALL my rods are lined up with Sharkskin GPX. I personally won't use any other and I do have Gold, Selective Trout, Windcutter, Sage, Ridgeline....etc Just don't use them anymore. I also have the Texture. Not bad, but not as good as SS.

+ Reply to Thread