I cast about as good sitting in the canoe as I do when wading. I had taken up the canoe before the fly rod and so the first attempts were at standing in the canoe (in that I figured what an expert canoeist I had become), only to experience one of life's many rude awakenings ... I took some cold water dips + lost some gear in the process. Hence, I learned fly casting from the sitting position. As so many times pointed out, a distance cast might be necessary at times but the vast majority of fish are caught not that far away. In my experience, either from the canoe or wading, I've caught most of my fish within 30' - the problem with getting a fish on with a 60' cast is that extra 30' to bring it in.

Bottom line (and hard for some to comprehend), I'd rather fly cast sitting in the canoe vs standing. First off, there's more sport and skill to it. AND ... the only way to acquire the skill of fly casting sitting down in a canoe is to get out and start practicing fly casting sitting in the canoe.

The only reasons I can see for distance fly casting is: (1) seeing just how far you can cast, (2) showing off, (3) participating in a distance fly casting contest for some kind of a prize.