+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: casting ?

Get yourself a Nucanoe Frontier 12.........

[img][/img]

Duff, what is that black stick thing sticking up on the left..shame lol
    Chad

Duff,

I agree 100%! I love mine....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Duff, what is that black stick thing sticking up on the left..shame lol
    Chad
    I have no shame........when in Musky waters........bring the big stick.
    Casting the first stone are we?
    Cheers

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Casting sitting down has never been a problem for me....I don't cast that great standing up, so it really doesn't matter.

Couple of thoughts on this subject. 1. Remember that when you're in a kayak, you can get closer to your target, so long casting isn't the primary focus. 2. If you need to increase distance, one way to do it easy while sitting in a kayak is to perform a water haul on the forward stroke. Simply allow your fly to "tick" the water on the forward cast, then immediately lift it, load the rod and make your backcast. Let the fly go on the the next forward cast.
    I wrote an article on the subject of fly casting from a kayak for my blog: http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.co...effective.html

I too fish from a kayak and while it takes some practice, it's not difficult at all. Just focus on the basics of fly casting and then practice sitting down on a stool like other mentioned. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Lot of great basic fly casting instruction is available on YouTube.

As for kayaks...A NuCanoe Frontier is great until you have to paddle one back up river to your truck. But for straight out stability, they're hard to beat. For the fishing I do around here, I love my Jackson Kilroy.
    -Jameson

I fish from a kayak sitting close to water level and I think the main thing is to stop your rod high on the back cast( important for any cast). I would not suggest that you get a new rod unless you want one. Even with a longer rod you still have to stop it high on the back cast or the extra length will not help. Practicing casting from a sitting position is a great suggestion ... I would add turning you body so you can see what your back cast is doing will also help until you get the perfect back cast locked into muscle memory

Agree with what Warren said of your learning the basics of casting.. casting from a canoe comes easily..after you perfect casting over all..
    I'd add not to worry of trying for distance..especially from a canoe or any other platform you can move on the water in..as with wading..if you need to cast father..just move up a little.. 30 feet is all you really ever need to cast really in most fishing situations.. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've cast and drifted my line all the way till my fly has passing by me by mere inches only to watch in amazement as a fish rose n took my fly at my feet!! N I love knowing I can be that stealthy!! I've literally had trout tail slap me as they've taken the fly!!good luck n good fishing!
    Last edited by billknepp; 02-15-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    It is difficult for me to assist you without being there with a one-on-one instruction, but, if you will concentrate on not casting a fly rod and, instead, concentrate on unrolling a fly line behind you on the back cast and unrolling it in front on the forward cast, it will help you to better understand the techinques of using a fly rod. You cast a spinning rod and a casting rod, but, you unroll fly line with a fly rod. Look at your back cast and watch your fly line unroll and do not come forward until it has unrolled behind you and then bring it forward and let it unroll in front of you before lowering the fly rod. This takes much less effort on your part.

What rainbowchaser recommended, with sitting in a chair, is good advise because when you are in a canoe, you are closer to the water and you will need to concentrate on holding the fly rod and line up higher on your back cast or it will hit the water behind you.

The above is offered as help. Most people are just too agressive with the stroke with the fly rod and do not allow the fly rod to do the work for you. A nice slow movement of the fly rod back to a stop and then a slow forward movement of the fly rod to the front stop is all it takes. The backward and forward movement should be a smooth movement with no agressive push of the rod hand coming forward. Just one smooth stroke back and forward with a short wait for the line to unroll behind you and in front of you is all it takes. Most try to really push the fly rod on the forward stroke thinking this is the movement needed and it is not.

Just trying to be helpful and nothing more.....
    Nice to see someone willing to take up the challenge of bending the lesson language on to the more direct path of truth for the sake of a students understanding. Once my students showed me how much quicker they understood when I stopped asking them to interpret what I meant by casting when they already had a fixed idea of casting, there was no going back. Now all these years an many successful students later, the first 'think', I tell them is why I don't teach 'casting' to fly rod students, they understand it ever so much faster.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

+ Reply to Thread