+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Sunblock Hat

Default UV Sunblock Hat

I had a basal cell cancer removed from my nose 2 years ago. Ever since then I've been using sun block cream. No matter what kind I buy it ends up in my eyes and I spend the next few hours with burning eyes. Can anyone recommend a hat that will cover my face, neck and ears? Is there such a hat?
    Thanks

I think there are any number of wide brimmed hats that will do that job priced between about $10 to way out there. I have a straw I picked up at BPS and an army issue boonie hat that I wear when it's a little cooler. The straw has a mesh fabric under the brim that keeps the sun off my face, but the wide part in my hair is unprotected.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have a hat they primarily use in salt water with a drop down curtain in back for your neck and ordered one of those elastic tubes that go from your neck up over your nose and keep your face covered. You'll see pics in Orvis catalogs of guides using them. Should go a long ways toward protection you need.

Tilly makes a uv sunblock hat, so does Columbia

I wear a Tilley that protects my face, ears, and neck. I have, however, noticed that in bright days I can still get burned from sunlight reflecting from the water. While hats are great, they do not give perfect protection. Saltwater fishermen often use buffs to give full protection.
    David

I have a Mumz hat (purchased at REI) that has a bill and a wrap around fabric that hangs over your ears and shields the back of my neck. It has also been treated with Buzz Off to supposedly keep insects away. As others have stated though, the sun reflecting off the water will still burn your face if you don't sunscreen. Simms makes a similar style hat. I really like them as it does provide some protection and keeps the wind off the sides of my head--a real plus in the winter.

I agree with the others that you need both a good hat AND sunscreen. I have found that SOL sunscreen is very effective and does not irritate my eyes if it drips into them with sweat. I have problems with most other sunscreens.

Ted

Blog Entries

I wear a wide brim hat except in the rain then a baseball cap since I want the hood of my rain coat to fit over my head. I also wear a Buff heck/head piece. I pull it up over my ears and around the top of my head, yea, the old hair up there ain't what it used to be. When it really gets sunny I can pull the Buff up to only expose my eyes. But, I still use sunblock around my nose and just below my eyes. I have never found a sunblock that won't irritate the eyes so I never use it on my eye lids and I try to keep my sunglasses on at all times (which you should anyway to protect the eyes from flying flies) which keeps me from rubbing my eyes. Get a wide brim hat and get a Buff and always use sunblock on exposed areas of the nose and such and wear your sunglasses. Get Buff gloves or other types of sunblock fingerless gloves and always wear them. Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants. Then you are protected from the sun as well as you can be.
    Larry ---sagefisher---

They do make UV face masks if sunscreen cream is a problem. Checkout this link I found.

http://www.mybuff.com.au/how-to-wear/fishing/
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I agree with Sage, the Buff is very convenient. You can wear a wide brim or a conventional baseball style cap.
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread