+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Sunblock Hat

I vote for the buff and hat. You can pull the buff up over a (baseball) and help hold it on in the wind.

Just remember to take the buff off before entering banks, convenience or liquor stores.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

UJ , that was great

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Just remember to take the buff off before entering banks, convenience or liquor stores.
    Reminds me of that VW commercial where some guy goes into a convenience store with a ski mask on to get some snacks for the road trip.

I wear wide brim hats I find at WM, usually in the fishing area, long sleeve shirt and zip off pants, and sunscreen on my hands, face and other exposed areas as needed. I pick 'em up on sale for $10 or less all the time and have several in the closet as replacements when needed.

Obviously there are folks who are more sensitive and vulnerable to sun rays then others. I'd guess that I fall somewhere in the middle, but as the aging process has taken it's toll, I've had to make some visits to the dermatologist. So I now take precautions that I ignored in my younger years. I do the wide brim hat and sun screen thing. And I agree very much with others about the reflective rays on the water. I've tried a lot of different brands of sunscreen and have found those with zero fragrance added to the contents are easier on the eyes. Also, the natural zinc oxide formulations have been my Doc's recommendation. To help with keeping the stuff out of my eyes, since I'm wearing a wide brim hat, I don't apply to the forehead, because when I do sweat the residue does not run down into my eyes. I apply the stuff to my face below the sunglasses, the nose, ears and neck.

The stuff I use is called "Industrial Strength Sunscreen" and has a SPF30 rating. And here's a link to some of their information ~

http://www.industrialsunscreen.com/t...sunscreen.html

Tilley Airflo hat and a Buff for me.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Go fishing anywhere in the Keys and EVERYONE wears a buff. There is no hat substitute.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

I hate sunscreen. It stinks, it stings, its not waterproof etc etc etc. Between my distaste towards it and an increase in studies pointing towards the ineffectiveness of sunscreen and how at best it might last an hour (without sweat and river water), I have been using a lot more buff type items. Between a buff and a long billed hat, you should be able to cover most of your head most of the time.

My problem is covering my arms. I like the breathable long sleeve fishing shirts but I'm 6'4" and they never seem to fit me right. They're either too big in the body or too short in the arms.

Default gott'a cover up...

greetings Earthling carbon based unit...
    take me to your leader...

Last edited by petegray; 04-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Holy cow...we are being invaded...save the women and children

+ Reply to Thread