+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Repair Question/GL3

Default Rod Repair Question/GL3

I have a G loomis GL3 9' 4wt(Demo rod...according to their policy i don't think i can return it unless someone knows otherwise). It is broken in the MIDDLE of the second snake guide down from the tip top. I am a novice rod builder (have built 2 flyrods, just getting started on it this year) and am wondering the best way to repair it. Is is reasonable to cut it below the broken area and put a larger tip top on it or will this completely ruin the action of the rod (the rod would end up being 8'3") or is there some other way to fix it?? Thanks for any insight.....

The best way to go is to call Loomis and ask about their policy.

Putting a new tip top on the broken section is not an option
    If you need to repair the section you wiil have to scarf a piece of a fiberglass rod either inside or outside the two broken sections and glue them together. Then wrap over the repair.
    I did this on a rod that had broken under a guide. You would never know anything was changed.

------------------
    "The man who knows all about trout does not exist,
    although you have probably met him"
    Samuel G. Camp 1911
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

If you look in the rod building section under features on the left you will find instructions for rod repair also. One of the repairs listed sounds just like the break you have.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I repaired a 4 pc rod about a year back using the excellent intsructions found on this site in the rod building section.

The rods casts very well and I don't notice any difference in the action. The repair is done using pieces from other broken rods and acts like a splint. Sort of like building a permanent ferrule joint around the break. Well worth trying in my opinion. A local rod builder was kind enough to supply my with some scrap sections thast I used to make the repairs...

As Dudley and Kengore pointed out, The repair is covered in the rod building section and is as Dudley says. Hardly noticeable in useing the rod afterwards...Good Luck and hope your back on the water soon...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You can repair it yourself with the Rodmaker magazine instructions that are listed on this very website.

If you send it to Loomis they will replace it but they may charge you a small fee for a new tip or a new blank. It won't be much though so that's something to think about. Last tip they replaced for me cost me about $60. Not bad for a $175 blank.

+ Reply to Thread