+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moments

Hybrid View

Default Moments

I'm curious to hear, what are some of y'all's favorite and funniest moments out on the river? Whether it be with animals you come across, people you meet or whatever it may be! I'd love to hear it, and I know everyone else will enjoy it too.

I know one thing that happened to me was I was fishing on the Duck River about 5 years ago and I was standing on this rock bank with nice size crevices all along it. I was fishing away when I hear something moving behind me, I turned around and all I saw was a brown creature just a couple feet from my legs. Well I jumped and almost fell in the river and the animal, come to find out was a big ole mink, did just about the same thing. And after that, I don't think either one of us went back to that spot for a while.
    Last edited by Liljoe; 04-15-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

I have a good friend back in Mississippi who I used to fish with when we got a chance. The first time we planned to go, he grilled like he was Joe Friday about was I going to be on time. He explained how many times he had people show up late or not at all, he almost made me get out the Bible and swear on it. Saturday morning we were to meet at the Natchez Trace regional visitor's center at 6 a.m. I got there at 5:30 a.m., 5:45 came and went, 6 a.m. came and went, 6:15 came and went. At 6:30 a.m. I headed up the road to be sure he had not had car trouble. At the bottom of the hill below his house he passed me at a high rate of speed. He overslept.

He liked to bream fish, I leaned toward bass fish back then. One morning we were bass fishing on Lake Lamar Bruce at Saltillo, MS. He had a spinning outfit he had bought to bank fish when he as in the Navy in Maryland. We started out chunking plastic worms, which he was not familiar with and the fish were not going for that morning. Finally, he ask me "Do you have anything I can chunk a long way and will make lots of noise?" I explained I had an old Jitterbug, but didn't think it was the right conditions for fishing it. He insisted, so I pitched it to him and he tied it on. He made a pretty cast right up against the bank and may have moved the bait a foot when a 2 1/2 lb. bass walloped it. A couple of minutes later he chunked it out in the middle of the stump covered cover, wham almost as soon as it hit the water another. I never caught a fish until I backlashed my Ambassadeur 5000 and went to my ultralight and a small beetle spin. I gave him the Jitterbug.

When we get together, he loves to tell the Jitterbug story, but he always forgets the sleepy head story.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Last year, during our local town festival, I met a fly tier selling his wares by the river. I talked to him for about 20 mins., and told him I was a fly fisher and tier myself. He invited me to come back the next day and demo his flies in the river for the folks walking around ( I think he figured to get some good advertising time out of me ). In exchange for my time, he promised to supply me with several flies to try out. Being that I am game for any excuse to get out on the water, I quickly agreed to come back the next morning. Sure enough, when I arrived, he ponied up about a half dozen of his creations. The day went fairly well at first, me tossing and him pointing and bragging. "Them's my flies he's a-tossin'". I was feeling pretty good about myself and was doing a little showing off. I could hear the comments of the crowd that was watching ( probably about 20-25 people ), and my ego started to get swell. Then the inevitable happened, I committed a cardinal fly fishing error. Trying to really give a good show, I was tossing the fly under a tree, floating it down stream then walking back upstream to make the exact same presentation again. However, in my haste, I walked BACKWARDS against the current, tripped over a rock, and down I went. The only things that stayed above the surface were my hat and my rod, which I was holding high. When I finally got my feet back under me, the entire crowd was grinning and laughing. I don't think I have ever had a more embarrassing moment. I calmly waded to shore, broke down my rod, and without looking at or saying anything to ANYONE, I walked back to my car, got in and drove away.
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

+ Reply to Thread