+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PLEASE, NEED HELP WITH RAT FECES !!! not fishing related

Default PLEASE, NEED HELP WITH RAT FECES !!! not fishing related

I came home to my apartment and found about 15 rat droppings on my bedroom floor (new carpeting). I caught a rat, which I think came up through the toilet, after a recent huge sewage project my landlord completed. The droppings were wet so I don't think the rat was in there more than a day or two.

Question: How do I disinfect my bedroom carpeting? It was also in my fly tying room, which is carpeted. I don't think it was in my living room or kitchen. I had bread and munchies on the table and nothing was bothered. This really has me creeped out. I didn't even sleep in my bedroom last night.

Help, please!

I would use rubber gloves and wipe the affected rug area with the Lysol or Chlorax wipes. I would wipe the toilet in and out with the same wipes and the whole floor of the bathroom, the sink, and the tub/shower.
    M
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Just make sure that whatever you use on the carpet does not contain any chlorine bleach or you may take the color out of your carpet. You could also rent a small carpet cleaning machine and just shampoo the carpet all over and that should take care of any problems you have. I stress again, no chlorine bleach!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Do you have a first floor apartment that would enable easy future entry for the vermin? Check for any additional possible entry points like the tub and/or shower, Kitchen sink drain, small holes around your entry door. Some of these critters can be very brazen and scoot right in the door while you are distracted carrying in the groceries etc. In addition to your cleanup, I would invest in several of the sticky traps or other type and place them around various places of your apartment. Don't forget to put one under the refrigerator and one under the dishwasher. After you do your cleanup, if the problem persists I wuld notify the apartment management and request that an exterminator be called in to treat the whole place....all units.

I'm pretty sure this rat came up through the toilet. About 15 years ago I had another one come in the same way, but it never got out of the toilet. I set two conventional rat traps, but I will get some sticky ones.

Toilets have seats AND LIDS - keep it closed!

Good luck with your rat problems!

Try telling the manager of your apartment complex to see if they will clean up the mess.
    Also consider using borax or some other cleaner on the rug in case the big vermin was carrying little vermin (which might have survived the bath).

Ed

P.S. If the rat came up through the sewer, everywhere it might have gone needs to be cleaned. That might include the sheets, blankets pillows, bedspread, etc. I'd probably include a mighty dosing of Lysol spray over the stripped down mattress.
    Last edited by Ed_D; 04-15-2014 at 07:01 PM.

You need to buy a good UV flashlight asap so that you can see where that thing, or things, have been. The UV will highlight urine stains and travel paths. You will be surprised when you turn the lights out and shine that UV light into an area where the critters frequent. This may also help you to solve the mystery of where they came in, just remember that a Rat can fit through a whole the size of a quarter or less depending on the size. If you have a cat or dog, they would be targeting the food. Also, usually when you see one, you have six.............keep at it until you are sure that you have absolute eradicated them little "insert bad words here" rodents.

+ Reply to Thread