Gentlemen, I've fished a lot of Catskill type drys and in looking at them on the water, they appeared to me to float high at first and as they got wetter the would float like a thorax pattern. I never got close enough enough to see exactly how they were floating This was in my younger years when my eyes were better. After reading all you guys input i decide to conduct an experiment. This morning i broke out some of my Lt Cahills, size 14 tied in my version of the Catskill style. I dropped them in a clear jar full of water. They floated with the body clear of the water. They did not float as high as the Dan Bailey photo, most of the tail was flat on the water, probably not stiff enough but they sat up on their hackles supporting the body clear of the water. The hook dented the water but did not penetrate it. I realize that this was not a very scientific test. The water was perfectly flat and the flies were dropped from a couple of inches. To be truthful, I was a little surprised. This leads me to believe that they will float as described by Art Flick but not for long.