+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A day at the river

Hybrid View

Default A day at the river

Had a nice day out on the river with Jack today. The weather was great, it was in the 80s and the water was right at 60 degrees. A little windy at times but it turned out fine. I had 30 Rainbows, 55 Bluegill, 1 Crappie, and 1 LMB. I mostly used the Reverse Hackle Spider WarrenP showed me. I swear that fly is fantastic! Thank you Warren.

Jack and I also flipped over a few rocks and found a bunch of bright green caddis larva, which we found to be very interesting.

The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

Good picture Joe, the bug not me!! Any rock you picked up in the river was covered with these, some were brighter green and some were tan. Although that looks like something out of a 50's Japanese Godzilla movie it is only about a 1/4" or so.
    The water temp was 50 Joe, not 60. New thermometer you know!!
    It was a very good day and since I'm going to out of action for couple of weeks it will give me time for my sun burn to heal!! Forgot to roll my sleeves down!!
    Ya All got to come down and fish with us some time!!

Is that old man river in that photo?

Sounds like a great day on the water you and Jack enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Liljoe,

Looks like you had a great day fishing and I am really tickled to see that the Reversed Spider worked great for you! If you get a chance, would you send me a picture of how you are tying that pattern? You could either send it by PM or E-mail. Everyone ties patterns different and I am interested in seeing how you tied it. I am assuming you weighted it and assuming you used olive chenille and a size 12 hook?

Since I spent Saturday out at the Arrowhead Ranch helping Partners With Healing with fly fishing with about 75 disabled Vets, I got the fishing "bug" real bad and I had Wayne meet me Sunday at another spot on the Duck River and he caught 14 rainbows. I decided since I had an appointment with the surgeon today, Monday, I would do a little fly fishing for the first time since my shoulder surgery on Jan. 31st, and managed to catch 12 rainbows myself and enjoyed the time. The surgeon told me today that I was doing great and as long as I took caution with what I did with my shoulder and took it easy, he had no complaints. He wants me to continue with therapy twice per week for the next 4 weeks and come back to see him on May 28th, and as long as I continued to improve, as I am, he would probably release me and until then, just take things easy, so, I will be doing some fly fishing finally!

Really happy to hear about your day on the river!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread