+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Japanese landing net

Hybrid View

Default Japanese landing net

I've tried to find it for the past hour, but can't. Maybe someone here knows. I recently saw a video fron Japan of someone Tenkara fishing and their landing net had the mesh tight so that it was literally like a tennis racquet. Has anyone else seen or used such a landing net?
    Last edited by doftya; 04-14-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

Go to Tenkara USA (www.tenkarausa.com) and click on Tenkara Gear. I've never used one.

Cliff

doftya,

The net you saw was on tenkara.com not tenkarausa.com. I do not know of anyone else who as made one like it.
    Tenkara Bum

The video on the net was interesting, especially since the net also has some sort of "gizmo" on it that allows you to remove the fly and you never have to touch the fish.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

The gizmo is a simple cup hook and can be added to any net. Pre-drill a hole add a drop of epoxy or not and screw the cup hook in. It's pretty nifty. However if you're using a frame with a net bag that flops to either side, the hook may become a pain in the rear because it will tend to snag the bag on the flop.
    Last edited by jd_smith; 04-14-2014 at 11:35 PM.

But no-one has any experience with one? I've been thinking of making a net for myself, and the idea of a shallow net is intreguing. Or would it be too easy for a fish to flop itself out?
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

+ Reply to Thread