+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more on rod socks

Default more on rod socks

Anyone know of a good source for custom rod socks? I've purchased from REC in the past but they are, at least temporarily, out of production. Golden Witch offers them but at about five times the cost if you want a simple custom length. Any ideas?

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:14f0b]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:14f0b]

Blog Entries

you might try this. classicflyfisherwoman@yahoo.com
    Ran into her at a show and she had nice stuff.

If you want to sew your own, go down to Wallyworld and root through their clearance fabric. You can usually buy enough to do 3 rods for $1 + tax. If not, approach the home ec teacher and offer the project to some of the students. If you supply the fabric and dimensions, you should get these things sewed up for cheap. If you do it yourself you are looking at 15 minutes or less to stitch one up with individual partitions.

I agree with the do-it-yourself rod socks. Or better yet, since my mother-in-law is a wonderful seamstress, I asked her to sew me up a rod sock and gave her the specs. Took her about 5 minutes. I'll use that sock when I hike into streams (in order to save the original sock from wear and tear).

I'm going to ask her to sew up a couple more for me... With all the spare material she has on hand, they cost just pennies apiece, as opposed to $10 or so for store bought.

So, with any luck you have a cool mother-in-law like I do...

rjj

I think oyster is looking for rod socks to go with those nice 'boo rods he builds.

For the rest of us, homemade would be great. The last time my wife had her sewing machine out I got out a couple of rod socks and showed her what I liked about them and what I wanted in a new one. She said, " Oh, that's easy, I'll make you some as soon as I get the chance."
    That was around 6 weeks ago.
    That's why I bought 3 at W**mart yesterday.

------------------
    "The man who knows all about trout does not exist,
    although you have probably met him"
    Samuel G. Camp 1911
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Yeah, I'm looking for some really top quality work. REC actually made some special scalloped opening, fold-over and tie, custom length bags for me for a long time, but since then they've had a complete meltdown in the seamstress department. Maybe all my pickiness finally drove them over the edge! I do actually have a nice machine which I use for my sailing applications (classic style sailboats are a lot of fun too!) but didn't really want to take on one more task if I could help it. Plus I'll probably end up spending 10 hours trying to perfect a $10 rod sock ... the search continues.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:65698]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:65698]

Got 3 yards at $.80 per at JoAnne (fabric store). Didn't realize I could make about 25 with that much fabric.
    Spent 1/2 hour to do one.
    Broke the needle on the machine.
    Will take 1/2 hour to get another needle.
    At this rate, the value of my first sock is $45-55.

Bill, how about taking it to your church as a project for the ladies to raise money for an event? Pick out the fabric, tell them your design and they'll crank it out for a few additional dollars. The best seamstresses I know are wives (not mine), moms, and grandmoms. 2+ cents worth.
    Quinn

PS Your Rods are gorgeous!

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 31 January 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Mwife made mine for my TXL that is in the works. Took 10 or 15 minutes

Hey Oyster, go over to the Classic Cane board that Banjo hosts and ask that question. I have 2 that were made for a couple of Leonards that I have that were made by a very talented member of that forum and the price was right too. I don't remember his name but could pull it up in my records I suppose. He did a magnificant job, made them out of a very nice quality linen, and the work was impeccible

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone and keep it coming. I'll let everyone (y'all, as we say down here) know how it turns out.

Bill

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:f4e64]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:f4e64]

[This message has been edited by oyster (edited 31 January 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread