+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salton Sea, CA

Hybrid View

Default Salton Sea, CA

Looking for people who have fly fished Salton Sea from a kayak or pontoon. My wife and I went there last week on our way home from Tucson. I believe I could catch corvina and tilapia on the fly if I had a little help from someone who has actually done it. I have a 9' nine weight rod and a salt reel in nine weight. Like what flies, sinking or floating line, what leader/tippet to use? Thanks. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

This will be interesting if anyone responds. My info tells me the fishing went to pot some time ago in the Salton Sea. If it has come back let us know . I used to spend considerable time in Palm desert.

So far what I've found is Talapia are the only fish left because of the high salt content. Corvina, groupers and others have all died off. Also it seems the best fishing is June to September, when the water is very hot. There are no outlets so the only way for water to leave is by evaporation. The water that goes in is fresh water but there is too much salt for that to make a difference. I'm gonna do a lot more research on this . Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

When I was down there ...there would be large fish [Talapia] die offs to the point of significant stench.

What Jim found is correct. That area is nearby to me. The fishing used to be fantastic. Every thing died off due to increasing salinity, decreasing oxygen, and other factors except the Tilapia a decade or so ago. 20+ lb corvina plus other smaller species. Kayakers would get towed on salton sea sleigh rides. Tilapia die offs are common but the tilapia fishing can still be quite good.

I don't know anyone who has had much success with flies for tilapia. Bait anglers can catch gobs of them.

However many of us fish the irrigation canals in the region for striped, largemouth, and smallmouth bass along with carp and bluegill and catfish. Which is why most of us don't chase tilapia.

Also the fishing in the Colorado river and the lakes along it north of Yuma can be fantastic for the same species as well as crappie.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 04-09-2014 at 05:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread