+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reversed Spider trout fly

Hybrid View

Default Reversed Spider trout fly

The last time I joined Liljoe, Wayne and Jack at the Duck River, Liljoe brought his Tenkara rod with him as well as the 5wt that he purchased from rivertraditions and when things got slow, I asked Liljoe to try his Tenkara so I could watch. You see, I am still recovering from my rotator cuff surgery and am not allowed to use my fly rod yet, so, I just tag along to observe and suggest flies and where in the river to fish them. As I watched Liljoe use his Tenkara rod, I remembered a fly I tied up that is a "go to" for me and since the hackle collar is tied in reverse, I gave one to Liljoe to use and it produced trout for him in areas where they had just fished and had no "takes". I decided to post a picture of the fly. I got the idea for this fly from a FOTW that Preston Singletary posted awhile back and it was tied on a # 6 or 8 hook for steelhead. I liked the looks of the fly and his description of how well it worked on the larger trout species and decided I would downsize the size and I also changed the material to better "fit" a description for a trout fly. You can type in "Reverse Spider" in the search window on the homepage here and it will take you to a SBS. I made the following changes: I used hackle from a cape from Conranch Hackle for the front collar and the tail. Instead of starting the chenille body in the middle and wrapping to the front and then back over it to the tail, which will give you the tappered body, I wrapped 8 wraps of .020 lead wire in the thorax area and tied the chenille behind the reversed hackle at the front and wrapped it back to the tail where it is tied off and where you would do your whip finish. I have found med. olive chenille to be the most productive for me. This was tied on a Lightening Strike NW3 #10 hook.

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,

Nice fly.

Regards,
    Scott

Thank you, ScottP,

Since my tying is stuck in "reverse mode", I decided that since my version of a Flymph has produced so many fish for me that maybe I would try tying one and instead of tying the front hackle to palmer through the thorax in the "normal" layed back way, I would tie the hackle reversed. The hackle being hen neckle does not curve forward much but does stick out and should provide lots of movement in the water. I have not tried this on my fish yet, but, as soon as the surgeon gives me the OK to start using my fly rod, it will be tried. Since my "version" of a Flymph has been so productive for me, I feel this will also produce for me. A Flymph for me is my "American Express" because I never leave home to fish without it! : ) This, also, was tied on a Lightening Strike NW3 in size 10. Hackle tail and front hackle was Hen Neck in Ginger and 8 wraps of .020 at throax area and body was amber rabbit dubbing in a split thread. (Thanks goes to Hans for showing the split thread technique)

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

On a #16 or #18 that would make a great PMD or sulphur emerger.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread