+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnification

Hybrid View

Default Magnification

What do you guys do seeing and tying small flies? I typically tie down to a 2x short 18, but the midges on one of my home waters are quite a bit smaller. Lots of days the fish don't care but there are days when they do. I am am going to take the sub 20 plunge, but need some more magnification over my readers.

Desk mounted magnifyier and lamp combo.

I also use a desk mounted magnifier with the built in light and it has worked very well for me for the past 15 years. I find the biggest difference between the cheap desk mounted magnifier and the more expensive ones is in the articulating arm that holds the magnifier and light. On the cheap ones, the extension arm tends to be weak and will not stay where you position it. It will sloooowly creep down until you find yourself all scrunched up trying to see the vise and fly. On the more expensive models like Luxo, the arm stays exactly where you put it. I also think that the magnifier and the light are bit better on the Luxo, but the biggest difference is in how the arm stays in place. If you decide to go with a desk mounted magnifier with the built in light, I would strongly recommend that you look on Craig's list or Ebay and buy a used Luxo rather than a cheap model from your local office supply store chain. Just one man's opinion...

Jim Smith

I have a pair of 5x magnifying reading glasses that I now tie with. As I said in another post, the desk magnifier w/light that I had kept getting in my way when I wrapped materials. But that was just me. Everything depends on the amount of help to see that you personally need. I tied everything for many years with no help at all. Not any more.....

Joe

You may also want to try the Daiichi Large Eye Hooks (#1100), 16 - 26 for some ease at tying them on when in the stream.

Orvis also sol Big Eye hooks.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread