Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; March 31 to April 7, 2014

I have an axiom, I coined when I started teaching fly fishing classes. ?Some of us are fortunate and learn the first around, but for the rest of us it takes a while.?

I have long known about the great fishing in the State of Idaho and in recent years have been exploring the waters of Washington. My interest in fishing the Evergreen State was sparked when Kim suggested I read the book, ?Fly-Fishing Pioneers & Legends of the Northwest.? My knowledge of our BC fly fishing patriarchs and their exploits is first class, thanks to the writings of Art Lingren; but to the waters below the 49th parallel, I?m a novice.

On our first fishing trip south, I got to talking with a river guide, Dave Button; we met at Eatery Restaurant, (home of Tootsie world famous cinnamon rolls) of the Clark?s Skagit River Resort. Dave wanted to pick my brain on our central interior rivers, while I pumped him for information on his stomping grounds. After a short period of time I laughed and said, ?Sounds to me like you boys let us BC?ers do all the bragging, while you guys keep your world class fisheries all to your selves.?

Dave looked at me silently for a few moments and followed with, ?you know too much already.? Our conversation was over and he walked away.

My second such experience was in the Bavarian town of Leavenworth. We walked into the town fly shop, to buy our fishing licenses and get some help in deciding where we would go fishing. Again I got to talking too much. In my spilling the beans about what I learned through my research I walked into another wall of silence. Little did I know that the Wenatchee River that runs beside the town is one of Washington?s premier steelhead streams.

Now what was that I said about getting it the first time around! Oh ya; kindly move to the back of the bus please, Jeff.

We will finish our story next week with; The Methow, Rufus Woods, and fry pan trout.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing fair to good. For better success try working the north east sections of your favorite lake, from late morning through the afternoon. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Pumpkinhead, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Micro Leach, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, or Halfback Nymph. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Renegade, Elk hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River back waters and sloughs are fishing well for cutthroat, rainbow, and Dolly Varden. For Cutthroat try: Alevin, Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, or Tied Down Minnow. For dolly varden try: Zonker, Flat Black, Big Black, Clouser's Deep Minnow, or Lefty's Deceiver.

The Vedder River is fair to good for rainbow, and steelhead. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Zulu, Soubou, or Irresistible. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Flat Black, GP, Kaufman Stone, Steelhead Spratley, Irresistible, or Stimulator.

The Harrison River is fair for cutthroat and rainbow.

Don?t forget to renew your fishing license this week.