+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motorized dubbing brush maker

Hybrid View

Default Motorized dubbing brush maker

This is a motorized dubbing brush maker capable of making 15" brushes
    This was designed from my old 40 year old motorized rod wrapper that has just been laying around when it was not on loan
    SAM_0701.jpg

Very nice job. Excellent craftsmanship and from the look of how well it's made, it should last you another 40 years or so.

Jim Smith

Yes, nice job. I made a manual brush maker with plans / advice from James Smith a year or two ago. Mine isn't nearly as fancy, but even with a manual twister it can save a lot of time for certain fly patterns. And, it's fun to play around with different mixtures that are otherwise hard to dub -- eg, adding in fine rubber hackle, flash material or longer hair.

James Smith posted an "upgrade" to his dubbing block on old Fly Fisherman BB when it was on outdoorsbest.forum.com

I hope James won't mind me quoting him. He wrote, ""I came up with a very simple idea to add power to these dubbing brush twisters if you have a Dremel, electric drill or battery powered drill. I simply inserted a stainless steel set screw into the twisting knob. You can then put an Allen/Hex wrench into your Dremel or Drill, insert it into the set screw, and you're in business. I tried these out and it works great, REALLY speeding up the twisting process."

Another variation was by "Ducksterman" using flexible vinyl tubing to connect a motor to James Smith's dubbing brush wheel. His photos are below.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver, I have moved on and now use a small cordless drill much like the one pictured.

I played with a few 'mounted' motors, but settled on a cordless drill for my set up. I just chuck a cup hook in it.

I have a bit more leeway in making brushes of varying lengths that way.

Sometimes I find myself over engineering stuff, and I have to keep reminding me to keep things simple when I can.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I'm trying to figure out why some of the brush makers are elevated. Are they are at the level of a hook mounted on a vise?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Silver, I have moved on and now use a small cordless drill much like the one pictured.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread