+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linen Embroidery Floss

Hybrid View

Default Linen Embroidery Floss

Having been led astray, to JoAnn's craft and fabric store website, I found many things which might prove useful to the casual fly tyer. I started using DMC floss when I was a teenager. DMC cotton floss has little life expectancy when exposed to water &/or fish teeth, which is a drawback for a fly-tying material. DMC wool floss is an altogether better proposition. Sometimes I use DMC (or other) silk, embroidery floss. Today I found something new to me. I discovered DMC in linen. Linen is a most interesting material and it can have very different characteristics depending on how the thread and cloth are made. I find myself wondering if any of you have tried this material and if so, what you think of it. I am interested in the durability and colorfastness, among other things.

http://www.joann.com/dmc-linen-embro.../prd29127.html

Thanks,
    Ed

I've never tried linen, but it sounds like it should be interesting. I find that different fibers can give one unexpectedly different effects and sometimes different is what will trigger a pressured fish. Big fan of natural fibers like silk and wool. Linen might just be the next thing!

Ed, Are you permitted to use linen before Easter in Nashville? I know you are a native son and wouldn't want you violating proper manners.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Ed, Are you permitted to use linen before Easter in Nashville? I know you are a native son and wouldn't want you violating proper manners.
    As long as it is not white, he will be fine.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

There is no closed season for tying with linen in Tennessee.
    More to the point, is it durable? I'll probably get a skein and try it out.

Regards,
    Ed

I use the cotton embroidery thread and coat with Sally Henson. It has lasted fr 40+ fish.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    More to the point, is it durable? I'll probably get a skein and try it out. Regards, Ed
    For years, fire codes required high rise office buildings, hospitals, etc., have a standpipe system with 1 1/2" linen fire hose. If I is anything like the fabric used there I would venture a guess it is very durable. A little history from firehosesupply.com "In the 1860’s fire hoses started to became available to carry water from hand and later steam pumps to fires. In 1895 the heavy leather hoses were replaced by woven linen fire hoses. When the flax fibers of the linen became wet, they would swell up and cause the hose to become watertight." I know that is not true the hose leaked like a sieve, but apparently the linen will absorb water and should be good nymph materials.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread