+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Duck Parachute Post

Default Wood Duck Parachute Post

I don't really like the look of white parachute posts and worse yet fluorescent orange....

I am looking for something more natural and was thinking about using wood duck flank feathers.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried this. How effective are they? Do they stand up to use? ???

Thank you!

They would work but unless you shoot your own it is kind of expensive. Dun turkey flats are a more common choice.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Okay, this is a true, 'For What It's Worth' comment and not based on anything scientific. As rainbow said, this is an expensive feather and may not be necessary, insofar as the fish are concerned. So, if you think it looks better to you and you want to use woodie flank, have at it. I think most fly fishers will say that the post exists so you can wrap the hackle. Since the post is above the water and encompassed by the hackle, the trout probably never see it. But we can and its visibility, the material as well as the color, is for our benefit. So use whatever color or material you like and feel comfortable using. Okay, here's some scientific information: Years ago I somehow learned about some study that concluded that bright orange was the easiest color to see on the water. Like I said, FWIW.

Allan

If you're looking for visibility (I am), I agree with Allan that orange is the best; black is great under flat light/glare conditions, too. I use Congo Hair, a poly yarn that does a good job shedding water, which helps with floatation.
    If you want to use wood duck, but don't want to pay the price, substitute mallard dyed wood duck; they'll be very elegant looking flies with either.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-31-2014 at 12:41 AM.

They are your creations, your art. If you want to use wood duck flank feathers for your parachute posts, go for it. I'm certain the flies will be effective.

That being said, I (and most of my friends who tie) will trade you bags of mallard flank dyed to look like wood duck for your real wood duck.

Use your feathers however you want.
    I think I'll go tie a fly with a polar bear post now on a whim!

Blog Entries

Andrew,
    I would use a post approximately the length of the hook shank. It may provide the trigger of a mayfly's wing in the trout's window of vision. Not sure what the purpose of trimming the post is if you're imitating an insect with upright wings....
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-31-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    They would work but unless you shoot your own it is kind of expensive. Dun turkey flats are a more common choice.
    This. Comes in variety of colors (including woodie).

I use poly yarn. It floats, is lightweight, available in a variety of colors, and is easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    <snip> If you want to use wood duck, but don't want to pay the price, substitute mallard dyed wood duck; they'll be very elegant looking flies with either.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott, I think wood duck flank feathers are a good bit stiffer that mallard and that might make a real difference with parachute posts. I am much too much a cheapskate to use something as expensive as wood duck flank for parachute posts so I'm afraid I cannot answer to using that for posts.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    Scott, I think wood duck flank feathers are a good bit stiffer that mallard and that might make a real difference with parachute posts.
    Ed,

I pulled a couple feathers out for comparison; wood duck on left, mallard on right

Just based on my tactile sense, I didn't find much difference in relative stiffness (markings on wood duck are much nicer, no surprise); I'll leave it up to tyers to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    I am much too much a cheapskate to use something as expensive as wood duck flank for parachute posts so I'm afraid I cannot answer to using that for posts.
    Agreed; that wood duck feather's going back into the bag with the rest of the skin.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread